1. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 00:06
    This is a serious question. Is it offensive, when talking to someone online (e.g., on this site) to ask someone what their race is? I don't wanna offend anyone unless I'm doing it on purpose. So what do you think? Thx.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 00:45
    Originally posted by fatalinsomnia
    This is a serious question. Is it offensive, when talking to someone online (e.g., on this site) to ask someone what their race is? I don't wanna offend anyone unless I'm doing it on purpose. So what do you think? Thx.
    It really serves no good purpose and is un-nessacery to know their race or sex for that matter.
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 03:53
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    It really serves no good purpose and is un-nessacery to know their race or sex for that matter.
    Well, I definitely wouldn't ask (or care) if there weren't a point to it. What prompted this was a particular situation where I wanted to ask someone a subsequent question (e.g., if someone is from Mumbai, I might want to know how life is there if I am considering spending the summer interning there; or, if someone is a Muslim and I am curious to know more about their religion... of course I could go to a web forum elsewhere but I was just posing a question because I am truly wondering if it is offensive to people. I personally would not be offended if others asked me what race I am but I don't know how others feel).
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 04:19
    People are sooooo sensitive now.I don't see why anyone should be offended.
  5. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 06:17
    Well, I definitely wouldn't ask (or care) if there weren't a point to it. What prompted this was a particular situation where I wanted to ask someone a subsequent question (e.g., if someone is from Mumbai, I might want to know how life is there if I am considering spending the summer interning there; or, if someone is a Muslim and I am curious to know ...[text shortened]... ly would not be offended if others asked me what race I am but I don't know how others feel).
    I wouldn't be offended but I wouldn't profile myself directly online if I could avoid it. Enough comes out in the course of these forums as it is.

I think it is an issue that can become a negative experience depending on the context to even ask if people end up getting offended because of the nature of the debate. However, in your context it sounds like you would be running a relatively low risk in asking, but still a risk. Couldn't eliminate the risk with the topic though.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 06:22
    Odd. It used to be people were proud of their background and national heritage. Actually they still are unless they're white.
  7. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 06:31
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Amazingly, I agree again with you, this time that people are easily offended.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 07:01
    It all depends on who asks, Sam.

It is not the same to be asked about one's race by you than by any other user of this site.

And we all know why.
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 16:02
    well, its an irrelevant question.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 16:051 edit
    wouldn't you be offended if I suggested white people are out to takeover black neighborhoods?

you're one of the biggest racists in this website, with all your numerous prejudices ,and yet you come here and say "I don't see why anyone should be offended"?, you're pathetic.
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 16:18
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    wouldn't you be offended if I suggested white people are out to takeover black neighborhoods?

you're one of the biggest racists in this website, with all your numerous prejudices ,and yet you come here and say "I don't see why anyone should be offended"?, you're pathetic.
    whoa! Take it easy on sam the sham."the biggest racist" ?! I do not think so. You need to give examples to make accusations like that.I have been following his post right along and I have never seen any thing "racist".There are plenty of others here that fit that description but they tend to line up w/you politically.You will not mention them though. Instead,you attack sam the sham.You are the one who is coming off pathetic
  12. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 16:36
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    whoa! Take it easy on sam the sham."the biggest racist" ?! I do not think so. You need to give examples to make accusations like that.I have been following his post right along and I have never seen any thing "racist".There are plenty of others here that fit that description but they tend to line up w/you politically.You will not mention them though. Instead,you attack sam the sham.You are the one who is coming off pathetic
    ."the biggest racist" ?! I do not think so

well there are others, but sam certainly stands out.

You need to give examples to make accusations like that.

and I have many times in the past, he even sent me a PM reavealing his true colors.
    also, its not like its hard to find a racist post from sam anyway.

I have been following his post right along and I have never seen any thing "racist

then you must be either blind, or another racist.

There are plenty of others here that fit that description but they tend to line up w/you politically.You will not mention them though. Instead,you attack sam the sham.You are the one who is coming off pathetic

what description?
    who are you referring to?
    and yes, I will attack him, do you expect me to defend racists?
    oh am I? I don't see how, if anyone is being pathetic here is you and your little racist pal.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 22:13
    If you are considering this other person as a potential date then it can be reasonable, though I'd prefer "what do you look like? Can I see a pic?" if I were to pick up people online which I don't.

If you two were already talking about race for some reason it might be reasonable, but you should give yours first if so and be very polite about it.

For the situation you describe I'd instead ask "Where are you from? What's your life been like?"
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 00:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If you are considering this other person as a potential date then it can be reasonable, though I'd prefer "what do you look like? Can I see a pic?" if I were to pick up people online which I don't.
    And yet you seem to have the seductive patter down to a tee.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 04:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    And yet you seem to have the seductive patter down to a tee.
    cyb0r?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree