1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 01:533 edits
    In Plato's "Republic", he outlined the ideal society where the oligarchy of masterminds decided what everyone else should do in terms of jobs and mating arrangements, etc.

It's the natural progression of the collectivist state.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 02:00
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    So, in other words, you're offended by people merely talking about it?
    Oh, no, no, I am offended by the idea that it is thought of as something to be regulated by the government.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 02:56
    Originally posted by @whodey
    In Plato's "Republic", he outlined the ideal society where the oligarchy of masterminds decided what everyone else should do in terms of jobs and mating arrangements, etc.

It's the natural progression of the collectivist state.
    Wait a minute... weren’t you just arguing, in another thread, that ancient Greece was a democracy? And that a democracy can’t be a republic???

Oh. Yeah. You were wrong in that thread. You actually learned something.

Well done. Carry on.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 03:58
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Yes. If one is senior to the other, yes.

Sure you fall in love, etc.
    But then one of you needs to be replaced to another sector.
    Otherwise you can’t act / judge without being compromised.
    You ever been to an office xmas party??
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 05:17
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Back on track ....

How many couples have you known who met at work?
    And how often was one senior to the other?

Should these liaisons be banned?
    I think the issue here is whether the staffer ended up getting a rather well paid job out of it and travel perks. Her side says no, but there is the assertion that the job may have been specially created for her, and that she does not possess the skills set to perform in that highly paid role, as per her qualifications and experience.

Well that's the cloud hanging over her and Barnaby Joyce the Deputy PM who famously told Johhny Depp that he and his dogs pistol and boo had better bugger off unless they wanted some active euthanasia performed on them...
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 05:25
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Oh, no, no, I am offended by the idea that it is thought of as something to be regulated by the government.
    But you said, "we should not contemplate the concept of consensual sex being some object of public discussion", and since I don't see any government regulation here, I'm assuming "public discussion" means what we do here every day, discuss things publicly. And you're against this?
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 05:34
    Yes.
    However, I’m usually too drunk and strung out on heroin to notice anything.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 11:01
    Back on track ....

How many couples have you known who met at work?
    And how often was one senior to the other?

Should these liaisons be banned?
    In companies? Not necessarily.

In government? I'd rather err on the side of caution. Remember Mandy Rice-Davies?
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 11:13
    Yes.

I also remember what happened in that company, and his marriage, when the boss started s##gging his secretary. It wasn't pretty, particularly for his wife and children, but it didn't cause our customers to mis-trust the company. (Internally was another matter, but that was his problem, not mine.)
    But... his company. He could hire and fire who he wanted, and it would not have an impact on public policy. It made a difference to his employees. If a government minister does the same, it makes a difference to the running of the country, and therefore, to everybody.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 11:15
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    It is something to be regulated by government for those working in government. Your personal affair with the coffee girl is not in danger, Jacob.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 11:17
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    my take is that two adults can do whatever they want as long as they disclose their relationship to HR and sign a waiver absolving the company of legal responsibility.
    That would be a good stance if this were about a company. It's not; it's about government ministers.
  12. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 12:26
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Yes.
    However, I’m usually too drunk and strung out on heroin to notice anything.
    ..you can always find me in the kitchen ^ at parties...
    ^ (shooting up)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree