1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 19:48
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Wow. This is a 30 hour audio book.

I'll probably finish it now, but this is truly sad when self centeredness is elevated to a virtue in an epic length novel.
    Well it's not quite THAT simple as I recall. I read it years ago as a teenager, so my analysis is likely way off. I just remember that Roark, indeed all the characters, seemed to represent archetypes of people to Rand with Roark representing an ideal.
  2. Garner, NC
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 20:51
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well it's not quite THAT simple as I recall. I read it years ago as a teenager, so my analysis is likely way off. I just remember that Roark, indeed all the characters, seemed to represent archetypes of people to Rand with Roark representing an ideal.
    This audio book started with a forward by Rand herself. At this point, I'm guessing that Roark is her alter-ego, and thus any criticism offered would bounce off her like it would bounce off Roark.

She preemptively (at least for my reading) defended the fact that characters were not wholly realistic, but rather meant to illustrate an ideal. I see that as meaning even the bad characters show the ideal by contrasting it so perfectly.

Sadly, whatever inspiration would come from this seems like it could be done just as completely in about 1/3 the words. About the only only benefit of excruciating length would be to very carefully represent real characters with depth and complexity. If all she's drawing is caricatures, which she pretty much admits, she should behave like an artist drawing caricatures and churn this book out with broad, quick strokes so both her and her readers can move on to the next attractions.

I suppose when Dominque gives herself in marriage to a man she despises in order to punish herself because the world is not good enough for Roark, we're all supposed to be touched. Well, that's about as far as I've got now, and I really hope Rand packs some surprises in the second half of this book.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:09
    Wow. This is a 30 hour audio book.

I'll probably finish it now, but this is truly sad when self centeredness is elevated to a virtue in an epic length novel.
    You ain't seen epic length until you've tried to read Atlas Shrugged. Fountainhead was a pleasure to read in contrast. I never finished the former. I tried, I really did.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:12
    This audio book started with a forward by Rand herself. At this point, I'm guessing that Roark is her alter-ego, and thus any criticism offered would bounce off her like it would bounce off Roark.

She preemptively (at least for my reading) defended the fact that characters were not wholly realistic, but rather meant to illustrate an ideal. I see that ...[text shortened]... I've got now, and I really hope Rand packs some surprises in the second half of this book.
    Roark is not her alter-ego. Roark, like Galt, is her romantic fantasy. She's represented by Domonique Francon and Dagny Taggart. I think.
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You ain't seen epic length until you've tried to read Atlas Shrugged. Fountainhead was a pleasure to read in contrast. I never finished the former. I tried, I really did.
    You may have just saved 50 hours of my life.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Roark is not her alter-ego. Roark, like Galt, is her romantic fantasy. She's represented by Domonique Francon and Dagny Taggart. I think.
    I had nearly the same experience in reverse. I never got around to AS because The Fountainhead was grueling enough. Who is John Galt? I'll never know.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:46
    You may have just saved 50 hours of my life.
    You owe ATY big time. I couldn't avoid either in high school.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 21:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You owe ATY big time. I couldn't avoid either in high school.
    Somehow the thought of Rand being required reading for you is amusing.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 22:22
    😠

Yuck it up; I probably would have grown up to be a nice moderate Republican like sh76 if I hadn't been forced to read such crap extolling the virtues of complete selfishness. I almost became a Shaker because of it.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 22:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    😠

Yuck it up; I probably would have grown up to be a nice moderate Republican like sh76 if I hadn't been forced to read such crap extolling the virtues of complete selfishness. I almost became a Shaker because of it.
    lol
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 06:53
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Do you agree with Ayn Rand on the subject of William Edward Hickman?
    I didn't take the post as being serious, who knows what Rands intentions were, these are excerpts from her journals, not as far as I can see anything intended for publication by her. It's a non-flyer, but a common tactic, rather than deal with the philosophy look for other things to attack, next we'll have some gossip about her relationship with Frank Connor. It doesn't detract from my previous comment at all about the clarity of her non-fiction which was intended for publication.

You blokes luv to wallow in the dirt, be my guest, but I'm not joining you.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 08:18
    Except in the US, Ayn Rand and her theories are laughed at all over the world.

Nobody, except yanks, read her.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 08:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir

You're a Yank shav?
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 10:45
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    You're a Yank shav?
    Not relevant.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 11:43
    Originally posted by shavixmir

I come across Rand supporters now and again. Usually silver spoon kids and sociopathic misanthropes.

So basically the same kind of people as in the US, but they are less numerous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree