1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '11 18:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    I didn't mean to literally tie the Medicare premium to the average private sector premium. I mean the premium would be whatever is competitive. The bureaucrats in charge of the plan would set the premiums, just like Healthy NY does now.

The point is that private companies would be able to compete against a public option if they weren't constrained by all the ...[text shortened]... pulation through government fiat by paying more money to a private company is truly bizarre.
    Sure private companies could compete if they can pick and choose who to insure and the public has to pay for the sickest. That's just another form of corporate welfare.

Of course, a single payer would make the most sense, but your system manages to be the worst of both possible worlds.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    23 Jan '11 19:11
    Originally posted by sh76

To force low risk people to subsidize the higher risk population through government fiat by paying more money to a private company is truly bizarre.
    That's exactly what I have to do!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree