Banning of vicious aggressive dogs

Banning of vicious aggressive dogs

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mwmiller said
I agree that a small dog probably won't kill you.

I wonder how trainable a pit bull really is?

I have heard many owners talk about how friendly they are, but have also seen some that made me nervous to be around. So they perhaps can be trained to be friendly or to be mean and aggressive, depending on the dogs owner. If that is truly the case then that would imply that they are trainable.
I have a Staffordshire, and he is the sweetest furbaby you could ever meet. He does have a deep bark, but he is truly all bark and no bite. Not sure how he would react if someone were to attack me, though.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
26 Jan 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Why not judge by the number of kills created by which breed of dog?
Because there are very few dog-kills happening.
You can’t judge the aggression of pitbulls if they only kill 1 person in 10 years.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
26 Jan 20

@shavixmir said
Because there are very few dog-kills happening.
You can’t judge the aggression of pitbulls if they only kill 1 person in 10 years.
841 pit bull attacks that killed, 2018, USA and Canada.
https://www.nationalpitbullvictimawareness.org/attacks/map-of-attacks-2018/

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mwmiller said
At times, communities attempt to introduce ordinances that prohibit certain types of dogs within their city limits, such as pit bull terriers, for an example.

So here is my question:
Is it a DOG problem because certain dog breeds have a natural vicious and aggressive disposition, or is it a PEOPLE problem because the person who owns the dog is mistreating it, or trainin ...[text shortened]... s!

I am not a dog owner, but am interested in the topic as it is currently an issue where I live.
I wouldn't have a problem with pit bulls and akitas being banned. I've seen these dogs (unprovoked) turn on their owners or others, and do some real damage. It's not always the owners fault -

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mchill said
I wouldn't have a problem with pit bulls and akitas being banned. I've seen these dogs (unprovoked) turn on their owners or others, and do some real damage. It's not always the owners fault -
That's strange, Mchill. I had read at one point that the only breed know to turn on its master was Doberman. Not saying you're wrong, just never heard of it.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mwmiller said
At times, communities attempt to introduce ordinances that prohibit certain types of dogs within their city limits, such as pit bull terriers, for an example.

So here is my question:
Is it a DOG problem because certain dog breeds have a natural vicious and aggressive disposition, or is it a PEOPLE problem because the person who owns the dog is mistreating it, or trainin ...[text shortened]... s!

I am not a dog owner, but am interested in the topic as it is currently an issue where I live.
It's not just aggression it's also about size little bitty aggressive terriers aren't going to be killing people but rotts and pits are dangerous

D

Moves
26 Jan 20

@athousandyoung said
It's not just aggression it's also about size little bitty aggressive terriers aren't going to be killing people but rotts and pits are dangerous
Rotts and Pitts are cupcakes if they are raised right and aren't abused they are just like any other dog.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mwmiller said

So here is my question:

There are no vicious dogs by nature. There are only poorly trained dog owners.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Jan 20

@dood111 said
Rotts and Pitts are cupcakes if they are raised right and aren't abused they are just like any other dog.
Yes and people snuggle with grizzlies and tigers

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mwmiller said
Is it a DOG problem because certain dog breeds have a natural vicious and aggressive disposition, or is it a PEOPLE problem because the person who owns the dog is mistreating it, or training it to be aggressive?
It is both a people problem and a dog problem.

Some people are irresponsible, whether by nature or nurture.

Some dogs are vicious, whether by nature or nurture.

However a dog with centuries of selective breeding behind it is
going to have strong NATURAL tendencies that only a very
responsible owner will be able to control through NURTURE.

It would make sense to have special licences for aggressive and/or
powerful dogs which require owners to demonstrate high levels
of control.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Jan 20

@mchill said
It is almost always the owners' fault.

Having an untrained or abused pit is asking for trouble.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
26 Jan 20

I think what some people miss out on here is this:
An untrained or rabid Chihuahua is not going to kill you. A similar Rott will.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 20

@athousandyoung said
Yes and people snuggle with grizzlies and tigers
Mike Tyson snuggled with pet tigers for a while

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Jan 20

@earl-of-trumps said
I think what some people miss out on here is this:
An untrained or rabid Chihuahua is not going to kill you. A similar Rott will.
Any rabid dog, irrespective of the breed, has the capacity to kill you.

w

Moves
27 Jan 20
4 edits

@mwmiller said

So here is my question:

Banning things that are harmful for society is indeed a fascinating issue.

So what kills more people, dogs or smoking? Naturally, smoking kills far more people but I have to say that when I spot someone smoking I don't fear for my life, but if I see a loose pit bull the question does pop into my mind.

Put another way, does society fear guns more than alcohol even though alcohol kills myriad more people every year, it's not even close.

I think the issue is, which generates the most fear of suffering in a short span of time at any moment in time. That is what gets the most attention.

So the issue is not banning what is the worst for us rather, the issue is what generates the most fear.