1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 08:27
    Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/environment/bbc-told-stop-giving-equal-time-science-deniers#vMxYeik89AFgqDpj.99
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 16:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/environment/bbc-told-stop-giving-equal-time-science-deniers#vMxYeik89AFgqDpj.99
    They've asked for and been given some advice to give "due weight" based on the level of consensus. I think the headline is misleading as it makes it sound like they're being reprimanded. The article goes on to state that Steve Jones' report was generally quite supportive. Only suggesting that impartiality was better served by stating how plausible competing views are. This is not obviously the right thing to do. Science works within paradigm theories, once an idea, for example anthropological driven climate change Reveal Hidden Content
    I believe the scientific argument for this. Please don't waste time trying to convince me.
    and typically the vast majority of researchers believe the paradigm; the sceptics are in a minority, sometimes quite a small one. Scientific paradigms are occasionally overturned. If they start reporting minority views as minority views then I agree with the idea. If this means that they stop reporting them altogether then they've made a mistake. After all the 'scientific' consensus was once that the world was flat - those who thought it a sphere were in a minority.
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '14
    Moves
    09 Jul '14 18:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    They've asked for and been given some advice to give "due weight" based on the level of consensus. I think the headline is misleading as it makes it sound like they're being reprimanded. The article goes on to state that Steve Jones' report was generally quite supportive. Only suggesting that impartiality was better served by stating how plausible com ...[text shortened]... ' consensus was once that the world was flat - those who thought it a sphere were in a minority.
    Excellent post, I wish I could have stated it half as eloquently.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 09:16
    They've asked for and been given some advice to give "due weight" based on the level of consensus. I think the headline is misleading as it makes it sound like they're being reprimanded. The article goes on to state that Steve Jones' report was generally quite supportive. Only suggesting that impartiality was better served by stating how plausible com ...[text shortened]... ' consensus was once that the world was flat - those who thought it a sphere were in a minority.
    Trying to lecture the BBC on the importance of balance, including minority views, is truly bathetic.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 10:12
    After all the 'scientific' consensus was once that the world was flat - those who thought it a sphere were in a minority.
    I am not sure this was ever true. But I generally agree with the rest of what you have said. However, I am not sure minority views that are not scientific views at all, should be given any media time whatsoever. If for example someone today were to believe the world was flat, let them at least convince some scientist of this before it gets reported on in the media - unless of course the belief is being reported on for entertainment purposes or some other reason not to do with publicizing scientific ideas.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 18:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree