1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    Hard to assess the success of an education without touching on the other priorities. For society's sake I'd say there should be a variety of educational tracks that prepare people for dealing with others in the society and with those from other societies.

I wouldn't be ok because I'm not a Muslim and don't live by Sharia law, but it's not about me, is it?
    It is about you and the results for your society based on your priorities.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes. This is why Bernie's concept of a free education would solve numerous problems, not the least of which is urban crime, eventually paying for itself by promoting a better society for all. We'd see a definite improvement within a generation. But the fat cats don't want a system where we "pay now, see benefit later". But once the benefits caught up wi ...[text shortened]... al-mining states. Bring them into the 21st Century with the rest of us, and poverty disappears.
    Ok Suzy..You mean that you honestly believe a plan would succeed giving free education for all Americans? Here's the scenerio that would undoubtedly play out. Suzy, stumbling through the massive trash heap left by the dakota pipeline protestors comes across an old bottle covered in bong resin. She elevates it to drink the water. Suddenly a old frail genie pops out named Bernie Sanders. They perform their greetings and Suzy asks for the customary set of 3 wishes. Suzy makes a wish..."I wish for free education for all Americans". Bernie: Poof, your wish is granted. Suddenly, 400 million Americans rush to college to collect their entitlement. There are an estimated 1.5 million University educators in the USA. Now every single educator in America has on average 270 students...Little Suzy, realizing the absolute f'ing disaster her innocent wish just created ( as is usual of first wishes) asks the genie Bernie Sanders for another wish. Bernie (as do all genies in these types of stories) grants her another wish so she can attempt to correct the kaos that has ensued. Suzy ponders a bit and says "Bernie, I'd like you to make 7 million more university professors to educate our new 400 million students so our teachers can maintain the typical ratio of 50:1 (Students/Educator)". Bernie, with all of magical powers that gave 400 million Americans free education looks up at poor Suzy and says...Suzy, I'm sorry...I'm not a genie. I'm just a political hack that can't perform simple mathematics. You only get one wish...bye.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:42
    University education is a waste for most people.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I agree. Which one did you attend?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:591 edit
    Does the education matter? University degree from a religious University? Ties into your view on a free culture. Would you be OK living in a Sharia driven culture?

Questions after you give your priority I think works.
    By the way, I edited such that if 4 were widened it would then go behind 3 and 5.

Freedoms of expression are important but the way the media translate into distorting the playing field for discussion of important issues like the environment. I won't elaborate now, dinner is ready.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:06
    And you'll continue to waste everyone's time on this forum with sneering, hateful remarks like this.

I'd nominate you to be first to get educated, maybe then your hate will stop.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:17
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I agree. Which one did you attend?
    US Air Force Academy for a year then Abilene Christian.

For it to be useful two things must align... academic ability and desire to get a degree

Half of the people have an IQ below 100 and some very smart people have no interest in college.

There is nothing wrong with going without a degree. Vocational training can lead to a very profitable career.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And you'll continue to waste everyone's time on this forum with sneering, hateful remarks like this.

I'd nominate you to be first to get educated, maybe then your hate will stop.
    You are such a snob.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:17
    There is the rub. As time passes there will be new technology which would make for better energy production. It looks like Germany will be stuck with older obsolete tech in 20 years.
    In what way will they be 'stuck with older obsolete tech'? You are not making sense. If Germany has a solar power plant that still works in 20 years, it will not be 'obsolete' by any sense of the word. If it is no-longer working then they can simply rebuild it with newer tech. This is different from nuclear or coal where upgrading the power plant is genuinely difficult and the level of tech matters. With solar, there is no such thing as 'obsolete'.

There will always be the need to update as we develop better and better tech.
    No. There won't.

When it makes economic sense to update solar or wind over oil and gas, then make the transition.
    It already does make economic sense. The problem is that it doesn't make political sense because the fossil fuel companies are entrenched. They receive massive subsidies (billions per year for the US).
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:17
    It is about you and the results for your society based on your priorities.
    One person can make a difference but picking one person at random, it doesn't.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:21
    Does the education matter?
    I think a good education is essential. That does not necessarily mean school or official credentials. With the availability of the internet, one can learn an awful lot without going to school at all. In my own career, nearly everything I know was self taught, and I continue learning through out my life (a necessity in the computer field).
    I think it is time schools put less effort into memorisation and handwritten and more effort into rational thinking and 'how to learn'.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:42
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Ok Suzy..You mean that you honestly believe a plan would succeed giving free education for all Americans? Here's the scenerio that would undoubtedly play out. Suzy, stumbling through the massive trash heap left by the dakota pipeline protestors comes across an old bottle covered in bong resin. She elevates it to drink the water. Suddenly a old frail geni ...[text shortened]... I'm just a political hack that can't perform simple mathematics. You only get one wish...bye.
    Yeah... free education and a complete public health system are completely impossible!!!

Well, obviously, considering many countries have or have had both, you're wrong.

It's just a question of how you spend your taxes.
    How much did the pointless (in fact, negative is probably a better description) wars in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan cost?

That's a helluva lot of free eduction blown to smithereens.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 08:42
    Suddenly, 400 million Americans rush to college to collect their entitlement.
    I think that proves beyond a doubt that your current system is not working. You are saying that there are 400 million americans that really do want a university education but are denied access to one because of the cost.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 09:17
    Ok Suzy..You mean that you honestly believe a plan would succeed giving free education for all Americans? Here's the scenerio that would undoubtedly play out. Suzy, stumbling through the massive trash heap left by the dakota pipeline protestors comes across an old bottle covered in bong resin. She elevates it to drink the water. Suddenly a old frail geni ...[text shortened]... I'm just a political hack that can't perform simple mathematics. You only get one wish...bye.
    Those countries that provide tuition-free tertiary education - how do you imagine they do it?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 11:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In what way will they be 'stuck with older obsolete tech'? You are not making sense. If Germany has a solar power plant that still works in 20 years, it will not be 'obsolete' by any sense of the word. If it is no-longer working then they can simply rebuild it with newer tech. This is different from nuclear or coal where upgrading the power plant is genui ...[text shortened]... il fuel companies are entrenched. They receive massive subsidies (billions per year for the US).
    So you do not believe in technological advancement. You do not believe that in the future a more efficient solar energy cell will not be developed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree