1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 17:183 edits
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Three things that struck me as interesting:

1. In fiscal stability, the top 13 states are all Trump states. Obviously, it's because red states have lower spending on social welfare programs, but it seemingly also means that blue states don't have the discipline to tax enough to support their spending. This is especially true in California, where they want to spend a lot on social welfare programs, but have insane constitutional limitations on their ability to raise money through taxation.

2. It's interesting that the northeast dominates in crime and correction. Even New York with big, bad NYC, is top 10.

3. The top SIXTEEN in healthcare have adopted the ACA ("Obamacare" ) Medicaid expansion. All 18 states that have not are in the bottom 34 in healthcare.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 17:251 edit
    Note that California could only make #32 in spite of its 4th ranked economy. IMO, economy ought to be the best correlated with over-all, though it would take a lot of work to put together a spreadsheet to figure out which ones do correlate best.

This is another indication of the ungovernable nature of the state, which we debated a few weeks ago.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 17:27
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Note that California could only make #32 in spite of its 4th ranked economy. IMO, economy ought to be the best correlated with over-all, though it would take a lot of work to put together a spreadsheet to figure out which ones do correlate best.

This is another indication of the ungovernable nature of the state, which we debated a few weeks ago.
    Interestingly, the only state with a similar variance between economy and over-all is Texas, another enormous state.
  4. RSA
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 17:401 edit

1. In fiscal stability, the top 13 states are all Trump states. Obviously, it's because red states have lower spending on social welfare programs, but it seemingly also means that blue states don't have the discipline to tax enough to support their spending. This ...[text shortened]... Obamacare" ) Medicaid expansion. All 18 states that have not are in the bottom 34 in healthcare.
    Here is my opinion, and take it with a pinch of salt since I have never set foot in the mainland U.S.
    Puerto Rico doesn't count.

As do most foreigners, I feel the pull of America sometimes. There's just so much wealth, culture, opportunity and of course, natural beauty. I mean, America looks stunning. South Africa is #1 in terms of beauty but it has so many other issues. America is definitely #2 in the world for best natural beauty, I mean, you have it all. The beaches of California, the redwood forests, Yosemite, crater lake, the rainy, temperate state of Washington, Yellowstone, the Badlands, the Utah desert, grand canyon, skiing in Colorado, the Rockies, the bayou, charming New England, Alaska and of course, Hawaii.
    Thanks, Teddy Roosevelt!

There is, of course, the political situation at the moment and the fact that I will return to the UK at some point and probably stay there. I do love America, though, for all my criticism of it. Being the world leader comes with responsibility. I think this wobbly phase is just a blip in history and America will work through it. From an outsider's perspective, the U.S presidency looks like a pretty weak office anyway.

If I was to move to America, I would live in any of the western states, Minnesota, Massachusetts or New York. NYC is wonderful according to all my friends who have been there. One of my good friends studies at Columbia. He is 100% South African and has only lived in NYC since September 2017 for school, and he already considers America home. He's only been there for 6 months! It must be quite nice.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 17:461 edit

1. In fiscal stability, the top 13 states are all Trump states. Obviously, it's because red states have lower spending on social welfare programs, but it seemingly also means that blue states don't have the discipline to tax enough to support their spending. This ...[text shortened]... Obamacare" ) Medicaid expansion. All 18 states that have not are in the bottom 34 in healthcare.
    Fox news ranks California has having the worst quality of life in the US

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/california-has-worst-quality-life-in-us-study-says.html

With all the homelessness and rampant illegal immigration and high taxation, and drug abuse and defecating in the streets, it's not hard to see why.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 18:27
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Here is my opinion, and take it with a pinch of salt since I have never set foot in the mainland U.S.

As do most foreigners, I feel the pull of America sometimes. There's just so much wealth, culture, opportunity and of course, natural beauty. I mean, America looks stunning. South Africa is #1 in terms of beauty but it ha ...[text shortened]... and he already considers America home. He's only been there for 6 months! It must be quite nice.
    I have certain family and community restrictions keeping me in NY, but if those weren't considerations, I'd probably end up in Wisconsin or Minnesota for natural beauty, good government, centralized location and other reasons.

Then again, I don't mind the cold. Most people would veto both states based on weather alone.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 18:56
    I have certain family and community restrictions keeping me in NY, but if those weren't considerations, I'd probably end up in Wisconsin or Minnesota for natural beauty, good government, centralized location and other reasons.

Then again, I don't mind the cold. Most people would veto both states based on weather alone.
    Get out of looneyville while you still can sh! 😲
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '18 19:23

THESE are the five best States in the Union?!

Iowa
    Minnesota
    Utah
    North Dakota
    New Hampshire
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 01:14

NY is better than they've been given credit for, I only have 2 minor pet peeves about the New Yorkers. They insist on mispronouncing Nevada (see clip for lesson on how to do it right!) and most are only dimly aware that there are other states on the West Coast besides California. These aside, New York is the most underrated state there is.

YouTube
  10. Germany
    Moves
    03 Mar '18 08:21

When the difference is between, on average, making a lot of money and making a huge amount of money (historically speaking), that is not going to be decisive for the quality of life. Finland for example would be miles ahead of any U.S. state despite having a lower GDP per capita than many of them.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '18 10:04
    1. In fiscal stability, the top 13 states are all Trump states. Obviously, it's because red states have lower spending on social welfare programs, but it seemingly also means that blue states don't have the discipline to tax enough to support their spending. This is especially true in California, where they want to spend a lot on social welfare programs, but have insane constitutional limitations on their ability to raise money through taxation.
    I suspect you have it backward here.

Rich areas all over the world predominantly vote right-wing, regardless of whether taxation policy is set at their level or above their heads. Those are also the regions which can afford to be easy with the taxes and strict with support for their less fortunate inhabitants.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 20:523 edits
    YouTube

So it costs San Fran about $30 million a year to clean the streets from drug needles and human feces, but they say the problem is they can't afford a shelter for the homeless that costs about $25 million?

Makes sense to me.

NBC covered this? Shocking! 😲
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 10:09
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka

As do most foreigners, I feel the pull of America sometimes. There's just so much wealth, culture, opportunity and of course, natural beauty. I mean, America looks stunning. South Africa is #1 in terms of beauty but it ha ...[text shortened]... and he already considers America home. He's only been there for 6 months! It must be quite nice.
    For natural beauty, I have it on good word that Norway and Turkey are the top.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree