1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 20:551 edit
    Government dictating charges of a corporation? Can they tell Apple what to charge for a cell phone? Of course they can, if they can tell Delta what to charge its customers. This spells doom for free enterprise. The main element of Capitalism is "Trade and Industry controlled by private owners for profit". This plan, see below, does away with private controls. How long have I told you woke libs that you will win in the end. Chip, chip, chip, chip...

News article:
    The Biden administration is seeking legislation against family seating fees on airlines. President Joe Biden has criticized airlines and hotel companies for add-on fees. Several airlines have made written commitments to guarantee families with children can sit together without an additional fee.Mar 13, 2023

It is none of the government's busiiness.
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 21:08
    @averagejoe1 said
    Government dictating charges of a corporation? Can they tell Apple what to charge for a cell phone? Of course they can, if they can tell Delta what to charge its customers. This spells doom for free enterprise. The main element of Capitalism is "Trade and Industry controlled by private owners for profit". This plan, see below, does away with private controls. How ...[text shortened]... can sit together without an additional fee.Mar 13, 2023

It is none of the government's busiiness.
    How dare this President protect American citizens from corporate price gouging! 😠
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 21:41
    @mchill said
    How dare this President protect American citizens from corporate price gouging! 😠
    Goobermint invents a bogeyman, the solution for the bogeyman is more goobermint.

mchill, opens the top of his skull, unloads his brain and becomes another useful idiot.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 21:59
    @mchill said
    Corporate price gouging? This has nothing to do with price gouging. It's about getting a higher class of service than you pay for due to government fiat.

Somebody has to pay if someone gets a service they didn't pay for. The only question is whether that somebody is the person who consumed the service or the other customers.
  5. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 23:226 edits
    @sh76 said
    Corporate price gouging? This has nothing to do with price gouging. It's about getting a higher class of service than you pay for due to government fiat.

Somebody has to pay if someone gets a service they didn't pay for. The only question is whether that somebody is the person who consumed the service or the other customers.

I don't care. Since our airlines are more than happy to suck up billions of our tax dollars in government subsidies, they can darn well accept some government oversite. This is just another example of corporate America trying to have things both ways. If the airlines want the government out of their business, then they can give the subsidy money back. I'll be happy to deposit a refund check.
  6. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 00:31
    @mchill said
    Look up def of “gouging’, realize your post is senseless, and rewrite it. We are busy, little feller.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 00:33
    @wajoma said
    Goobermint invents a bogeyman, the solution for the bogeyman is more goobermint.

mchill, opens the top of his skull, unloads his brain and becomes another useful idiot.
    See above, the little guy suggests govt should control pricing.
    Him aside, we really need to sweat Biden continuing the hell.
  8. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 00:38
    @mchill said

I don't care. Since our airlines are more than happy to suck up billions of our tax dollars in government subsidies, they can darn well accept some government oversite. This is just another example o ...[text shortened]... their business, then they can give the subsidy money back. I'll be happy to deposit a refund check.
    Do you get the idea the mhill person is clueless. Here again, implies subsidies were a bad idea of the 600 or so leaders in our congress. He also thinks we should all pay college loans of grads making several hundred thou a year. What a jester.
    Hey Jester, you reading this? Come along now.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 05:11
    @averagejoe1 said
    Do you get the idea the mhill person is clueless. Here again, implies subsidies were a bad idea of the 600 or so leaders in our congress. He also thinks we should all pay college loans of grads making several hundred thou a year. What a jester.
    Hey Jester, you reading this? Come along now.
    So clueless.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 05:54
    Let’s just leave consumers’ rights to big business.

🙄
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 06:22
    @shavixmir said
    Let’s just leave consumers’ rights to big business.

🙄
    pseud boy, you forgot the other half of the equation, i.e. the consumers.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 10:12
    @wajoma said
    pseud boy, you forgot the other half of the equation, i.e. the consumers.
    If anybody wanted your opinion, they’d let you out of the koala rape pit.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 12:40
    @sh76
    Given that the airline knows passenger's ages (they may even have charged less for a young passenger's ticket), do you think they should warn the parent BEFORE purchase that they will not sit together?

Seems like a meeting-of-minds question over contract expectations. Most parents will assume that an airline will not separate them from their kids - who might scream bloody murder for the whole flight otherwise. Seems distressing for everyone.
  14. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 13:16
    @spruce112358 said
    @sh76
    Given that the airline knows passenger's ages (they may even have charged less for a young passenger's ticket), do you think they should warn the parent BEFORE purchase that they will not sit together?

Seems like a meeting-of-minds question over contract expectations. Most parents will assume that an airline will not separate them from their kids - who might scream bloody murder for the whole flight otherwise. Seems distressing for everyone.
    Seems distressing? Oh gosh, call the govt. No one is making them fly, spruce.. and no, the airline should not have to warn the parent before purchase that they will not sit together. It is up to the parent to arrange the best seating for their family on this 300 seat flight.
    The ticket agents are not babysitters. Jesus, we have another lib amongst us.
  15. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 14:071 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    the airline should not have to warn the parent before purchase that they will not sit together.
    Sure they should. That's an expectation of the contract. I'm booking together and some of my party are underage and not responsible for their actions (which the airline knows in advance - they asked our ages.) I MUST be adjacent to them to be able to control their behavior.

If the airline asks, "Do you want to choose your seats for $80?" and I say "No" because I don't care about Window vs Aisle, and they later spring that they have split up my whole family, that's also unacceptable. I have to control people I am legally responsible for, and the airline cannot make that impossible.

An enforceable contract requires a meeting of the minds.

EDIT: Another interesting way to look at this is: "Can airlines offer a savings of $80 on my ticket if I agree to put my kids under distress and disturb the rights of passengers around them?" Government, which has to enforce this contract (if it is valid) can reasonably say, "No, that's stupid. Don't do that." Which is what has happened.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree