1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 21:49
    Figured it was a great idea, to close, send ‘em all packin’. Overload the solar world, watch wages drop.
    Here is a question I have here for all of you. The pipeline is very clean and efficient in the way of environmental concerns. I guess they will find a way to get the oil on the back of trucks. I will be sure to keep my family from following one of those trucks
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 22:07
    @AverageJoe1
    You refuse to see the end of fossil fuels for transportation. In another 40 or so years there will be no more gas engine cars ALLOWED on the road and they will ALL be run by batteries or hydrogen power and electricity coming from fusion plants, wind, solar, wave power and even nuclear fission but coal burning or oil for electricity, GONE.

You cannot wrap your head around that.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 22:12
    @AverageJoe1

Keystone XL is more symbolic than anything. It takes like 12 full time employees to maintain the whole thing once built. And since it's been argued over for a decade or more it's already basically obsolete. Tar sands oil extraction is not even profitable at current oil prices.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 22:22
    @wildgrass
    Don't confuse me with facts, WE WANT THE PIPELINE! So says AJ.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 22:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 02:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Challenger 2 weighs 70 tons and is going to at most be a field gun if it has to run on solar power. Military use is a fairly small fraction of the total use of energy so I doubt that that introduces a huge barrier to carbon targets.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 03:05
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1
    You refuse to see the end of fossil fuels for transportation. In another 40 or so years there will be no more gas engine cars ALLOWED on the road and they will ALL be run by batteries or hydrogen power and electricity coming from fusion plants, wind, solar, wave power and even nuclear fission but coal burning or oil for electricity, GONE.

THere are some people smarter than us that don't quite see it that way. Just google pro/con, I aint much of a linker.
    And I note that most libs write about stuff like this and mention not a word about the sadness of jobs lost, hungry children ,, ruined lives. Not convenient, is it? Doesn't fit in with the libs plans to reform a 250 year old country? I thought the libs really hate collateral damage and all those pesky considerations.

Oops, my granny just said to quit confusing the libs
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 03:52
    @AverageJoe1
    what jobs?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:16
    @averagejoe1 said
    Figured it was a great idea, to close, send ‘em all packin’. Overload the solar world, watch wages drop.
    Here is a question I have here for all of you. The pipeline is very clean and efficient in the way of environmental concerns. I guess they will find a way to get the oil on the back of trucks. I will be sure to keep my family from following one of those trucks
    The pipeline traverses Native American ancestral burial grounds.

It never should have been laid where it is. It crosses the only source of water for this tribe. The environmental research was rushed to push the pipeline through. It never should have been allowed to go through in the first place.
  10. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:27
    @suzianne said

It never should have been laid where it is. It crosses the only source of water for this tribe. The environmental research was rushed to push the pipeline through. It never should have been allowed to go through in the first place.
    Oh bull before they put the pipeline down the government went to every frickin tribe and spelled out where they were going and diverted around any happy hunting grounds it if the tribes had any objections.
    AFTER they got permission THEN suddenly a bunch of magic shamans or whatever decided that by golly the pipe was infringing on some sacred plot of dirt and they started protesting hoping to get more money.
    And nobody's water has been cut off.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:303 edits
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1

Or...we could just dispense with destroying every ecosystem on the g&dd&%n planet by covering them with low energy density "green energy" you mention and go 100% nuclear.
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:36
    @wildgrass said
    @AverageJoe1
    what jobs?
    this mornings news puts the number at 11,550. Don't shoot the messenger.
  13. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:44
    @suzianne said

I hate it about the ancestral grounds, etc. You know, if there are 21 in a 20 person lifeboat,,we would necessarily draw straws, to have to let one adrift, or, we will all sink. So where you gonna run the line. If you take your point to its logical conclusion, the Indians were here first, and we should not touch their stuff. (oops don't get me started on getting other people's stuff!!)
    I think you are saying that we need to put the line where EVERBODY is happy. What if they want to put it straight thru my home footprint? Should they go around , forgetting money and time?

This may sound crass, but the govt is going to have to exercise eminent domain, which is done every day. Like, the things that they have done to give you a convenient road to work everyday. Geez
  14. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:48
    @averagejoe1 said
    I hate it about the ancestral grounds, etc. You know, if there are 21 in a 20 person lifeboat,,we would necessarily draw straws, to have to let one adrift, or, we will all sink. So where you gonna run the line. If you take your point to its logical conclusion, the Indians were here first, and we should not touch their stuff. (oops don't get me started on getting other ...[text shortened]... ery day. Like, the things that they have done to give you a convenient road to work everyday. Geez
    No need for the lifeboat game, the govt got permission from every tribe and tribal council or Big Chief or whatever for the pipeline placement and they diverted it around any place the various tribes objected to having it.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:54
    @averagejoe1 said
    this mornings news puts the number at 11,550. Don't shoot the messenger.
    I didn't see that. Was that projected future hiring or existing jobs? What seemed more accurate was the ~1,000 temporary construction jobs. Temp jobs are still jobs, but they are temporary meaning they'll need another job next year anyway and that fact gets lost in the shuffle here. Only a few dozen jobs will be permanent. Compared to the overall number of unemployed Americans (>10 million) it seems like a lot of time is wasted on this drop in the bucket.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree