1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 16:20
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I think one of the big problems we have right now is that the tax code is a monstrously complex thing. There are so many loopholes and deductions and exemptions in it. So the amount of taxes that a given rich person actually pays depends on a myriad of factors including the quality of their lawyers and accountants.

So ultimately, it's very difficult to ...[text shortened]... uch easier for progressives like yourself to demand that politicians make the rich pay more.
    I'm all for eliminating all tax loopholes and shelters to raise revenue if your object is to reduce the deficit. But how does massive cuts in the marginal rates at the top accomplish this?

And at the bottom, the commission co-chairs recommend eliminating the Earned Income Credit which is an anti-poverty income supplement similar to a "negative income tax". How exactly does eliminating this program while cutting the wealthy's marginal rates make the tax code more "progressive" as Telerion claims?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 16:566 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm all for eliminating all tax loopholes and shelters to raise revenue if your object is to reduce the deficit. But how does massive cuts in the marginal rates at the top accomplish this?

And at the bottom, the commission co-chairs recommend eliminating the Earned Income Credit which is an anti-poverty income supplement similar to a "n ting the wealthy's marginal rates make the tax code more "progressive" as Telerion claims?
    There are two steps here. First, you eliminate all the loopholes and establish new tax rates that approximates the tax levels that the average person in each bracket is actually paying now. So the average person in a 36% tax bracket with lots of loopholes is ACTUALLY paying something like 23% of their income.

Once you've established "revenue neutral" tax rates, you can then raise the taxes to increase revenue. Once people see that the top rate that the rich are actually paying is only 23% or so, they might be very forceful in demanding that this be raised. Since I have no idea what the exact "revenue-neutral" tax rates are once all loopholes have been removed, I don't know for sure whether the rich would be paying more or less than they do now. I'll let the tax experts go through the byzantine tax code and try to figure this out. I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

As for the Earned Income Tax Credit -- the proposal includes a number of scenarios for the Zero Option model. One scenario eliminates every single loophole - a second scenario eliminates all loopholes, EXCEPT for the earned income tax credit & the child tax credit - and two additional scenarios adds back loopholes for mortgages, healthcare plans, and retirement benefits.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 17:42
    There are two steps here. First, you eliminate all the loopholes and establish new tax rates that approximates the tax levels that the average person in each bracket is actually paying now. So the average person in a 36% tax bracket with lots of loopholes is ACTUALLY paying something like 23% of their income.

Once you've established "revenue neutral" ...[text shortened]... l scenarios adds back loopholes for mortgages, healthcare plans, and retirement benefits.
    People already think the wealthy don't pay enough in taxes and that deficit reduction should be done, in large part, by raising their taxes. So this whole exercise is pointless if its purpose is in any measure what your post postulates.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 18:27
    People already think the wealthy don't pay enough in taxes and that deficit reduction should be done, in large part, by raising their taxes. So this whole exercise is pointless if its purpose is in any measure what your post postulates.
    Good. So that means that legislation has already been passed to significantly increase the tax rates on the rich. The people have spoken and the politicians, fearing the voters' wrath, have acted.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 18:43
    Good. So that means that legislation has already been passed to significantly increase the tax rates on the rich. The people have spoken and the politicians, fearing the voters' wrath, have acted.
    Don't act like whodey; I've already explained that the politicians in both big money parties are far more responsive to the economic elite than they are to the preferences of the people. What part of that didn't you understand? Surely the recommendations of the two co-chairs of the commission reinforces that argument of mine.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 19:16
    Don't act like whodey; I've already explained that the politicians in both big money parties are far more responsive to the economic elite than they are to the preferences of the people. What part of that didn't you understand? Surely the recommendations of the two co-chairs of the commission reinforces that argument of mine.
    That my point. The politicians are not going to respond to the will of the people unless the people can express their will strongly enough to make them listen.

So if the tax simplification process makes people more aware of the exact amount that the rich are actually paying, it will stir up increased intensity and broaden the existing support further -- until the politicians have to seriously worry about losing their seats unless they act.

That's the problem with polls. They measure what percentage of people favor raising taxes on the rich -- but they do a poor job measuring their intensity - they don't measure how likely the people will make a major fuss, conduct large noisy protests, and then show up in droves during the primaries.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 02:10
    I think one of the big problems we have right now is that the tax code is a monstrously complex thing. There are so many loopholes and deductions and exemptions in it. So the amount of taxes that a given rich person actually pays depends on a myriad of factors including the quality of their lawyers and accountants.

So ultimately, it's very difficult to ...[text shortened]... uch easier for progressives like yourself to demand that politicians make the rich pay more.
    The federal income tax burden is much more concentrated than the income distribution. The real income of the rich has gone way up right? Well, the tax concentration has grown by even more. Rich people pay more than a proportional share of income taxes.

Not saying that they shouldn't pay so much. Maybe they should pay more, but don't get conned into thinking that rich people aren't paying.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 02:38
    My budget proposals are:
    1. Begin placing the Social Security taxes in a seperate fund, not general revenue. And make it inaccessible to thieving politicians.
    2. Revoke tax exempt status for all churches. Most are just political arms of one party or another.
    3. Reduce the salaries 10% of all Federal politicians. Eliminate government subsidized pensions and healthcare for all congressman and senators.
  9. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 04:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, why don't you do the maths? If I understand correctly a lot of deductions which benefit mostly the rich will be abolished, so it may be correct. It's still a bad idea to have such a low top rate, of course, but it might still be an improvement over the current situation.
    You would be losing items such as the mortgage deduction. There ar several areas where taxes would increase thus the initial frown from the Tea Party types.

They say that mathematically it works, but both parties will whiff on it.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    Rich people pay more than a proportional share of income taxes.

Not saying that they shouldn't pay so much. Maybe they should pay more, but don't get conned into thinking that rich people aren't paying.
    their income streams are also disproportionate to what common sense says anyone needs. Even if its not a zero sum game, you can't tell me that the rich getting richer is noot affecting income distribution....

edit: I'm not Scottish btw
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 16:07
    Originally posted by kmax87
    their income streams are also disproportionate to what common sense says anyone needs. Even if its not a zero sum game, you can't tell me that the rich getting richer is noot affecting income distribution....

edit: I'm not Scottish btw
    The richest have become richer relative to bottom 95% or so. I have said this already. And of course that affects the distribution of income (by definition).

My point was that the distribution of federal income taxes is far more concentrated than that of income and has become so more rapidly than income inequality has grown. In other words, we have been getting more and more of the share of taxes from high income earners. So much so, that the growth in income inequality alone cannot account for it.

That doesn't mean that taxes shouldn't be even more progressive, but it is a fact that serious people should be aware of.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 16:10
    Found a nice opinion piece in NYT by respected economist Glenn Hubbard. He also points out the fact that the proposals are on net progressive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/opinion/16hubbard.html?_r=1
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 23:05
    Found a nice opinion piece in NYT by respected economist Glenn Hubbard. He also points out the fact that the proposals are on net progressive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/opinion/16hubbard.html?_r=1
    Yes, Bush's co-Chairman of Economic Advisors thinks it's slightly progressive. Not much to hang an Argument to Authority Fallacy on.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 23:081 edit
    The richest have become richer relative to bottom 95% or so. I have said this already. And of course that affects the distribution of income (by definition).

My point was that the distribution of federal income taxes is far more concentrated than that of income and has become so more rapidly than income inequality has grown. In other words, we have s shouldn't be even more progressive, but it is a fact that serious people should be aware of.
    Equating income taxes to all taxes is fallacious. The overall tax burden is very mildly progressive which is a disgrace given the massive and growing inequality in income distribution.
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 01:481 edit
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/us/politics/11fiscal.html?_r=1

well...it's still a "draft" so it's not really a finished proposal yet.

http://documents.nytimes.com/draft-proposal-from-the-national-commission-on-fiscal-responsibility-and-reform?ref=politics#p=1

this is the document itself -- it's fifty "pages" are presented in a power-point for hat it considers a more accurate CPI (the chained-CPI) for cost-of-living adjustments.
    This does not seem to bad to me. I doubt it will survive in it's present form though. Too many lawmakers on both sides of the partsian fence have still not accepted the fact that spending needs to be cut, and tax revenues need to be increased to balance the budget, and begin to pay down the national debt. Oh well, hope springs eternal...🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree