1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 18:532 edits
    After turning down black packs for tobacco the UK govt say they are looking again at charging smokers £8 for a non marked pack and a gory picture and to kindly donate £6 of that to the NHS, we smokers keep Christmas in our wallets, its great.

I will vote for anyone who is against this sort of interference in people lives. They should pinch themselves if they want to pick on someone. Smokers should get loyalty cards for the amount of tax they pay already.

Its time to legalise cannabis (just thought i'd get that in there) I'm taking note of the politicians who back black packs so I never vote for them.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 21:36
    Originally posted by e4chris
    After turning down black packs for tobacco the UK govt say they are looking again at charging smokers £8 for a non marked pack and a gory picture and to kindly donate £6 of that to the NHS, we smokers keep Christmas in our wallets, its great.

I will vote for anyone who is against this sort of interference in people lives. They should pinch themselves if ...[text shortened]... that in there) I'm taking note of the politicians who back black packs so I never vote for them.
    Momentum is growing in the US to end prohibition of marijuana. A couple states have legalized it outright, but the federal law remains in force unfortunately. If the US does legalize it (or at least repeals the federal prohibitions against it), my guess is that the UK and other European governments will follow suit rapidly.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was Sasquatch ranting about the knockout game again.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 21:59

I will vote for anyone who is against this sort of interference in people lives. They should pinch themselves if ...[text shortened]... that in there) I'm taking note of the politicians who back black packs so I never vote for them.
    We are in the era of the nanny state. What you do effects the collective. Why do you want to harm the collective?
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 22:383 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Momentum is growing in the US to end prohibition of marijuana. A couple states have legalized it outright, but the federal law remains in force unfortunately. If the US does legalize it (or at least repeals the federal prohibitions against it), my guess is that the UK and other European governments will follow suit rapidly.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was Sasquatch ranting about the knockout game again.
    That's cool and pot gets in the media more now. But we shouldn't rely completely on the US to decide what's right for the UK - We need drugs laws that respect the individuals and pot is the biggest.

Black cigarette packets just encourage people to get duty free that's already cheaper. govt could only loose money from this I think. In the UK govt have done more then enough to target cigarettes, I agree with the taxes, some of them and the warnings. But the packs are govt wanting too much influence. I don't know what you'd get next, a cake ban maybe....
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 22:541 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    We are in the era of the nanny state. What you do effects the collective. Why do you want to harm the collective?
    there's lots in the collective the smokers pay more in tax then they cost...
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 02:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    If all US smokers quit smoking tomorrow how long would it take before state governments became insolvent ? Talk about harming the collective. 😏
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 20:45
    Originally posted by Soothfast

Mmm, I am again basking in the warm glow of your gaze...
  8. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 20:47

and why should non smokers pay for your vice? WE are all paying higher premiums for those who chose to live on the edge.. heart disease is the number one killer in adults here in the USA, and anyone who thinks smoking isn't a factor, is quite frankly an idiot.. next up,, cell phones and driving..why should my rates go up to adjust for drivers who get into accidents while texting on cell phones?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 21:52
    Lets see the stats. What do smokers cost and how much do they pay?
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 22:17
    This simply is not true. Smokers end up with costly diseases. Simply look at the dramatic difference in the cost of insurance for smokers and non-smokers. If people want to smoke they should simply give up their governmental healthcare.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 23:27
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    and why should non smokers pay for your vice? WE are all paying higher premiums for those who chose to live on the edge.. heart disease is the number one killer in adults here in the USA, and anyone who thinks smoking isn't a factor, is quite frankly an idiot.. next up,, cell phones and driving..why should my rates go up to adjust for drivers who get into accidents while texting on cell phones?
    Not quite true, Hugh. Smokers live considerably shorter lives, and save money on Social Security and Medicare.

Sure smoking is a factor, but sorting out the other factors isn't really possible.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Nov '13 23:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Lets see the stats. What do smokers cost and how much do they pay?
    If the State took the money collected from smokers and directly attacked the alleged costs, that would be one thing, but the money goes into general funds and ends up not doing anything about the alleged "problem".

Heaven help if they actually deterred smokers, and the government had to replace the tax revenue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree