1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 04:45
    The lack of sympathy shown by the world for the plight of the Syrian people is striking, especially in contrast to what happened in Libya. What could be the reason for this? Is it strictly a case of Russian imperialism, where the back-room channels have stated "Hand's off. Syria is in the RUSSIAN sphere," in no uncertain terms? Why is France not readying the Charles de Gaulle (interestingly the only non-US nuclear-powered carrier in the world)? Is Sarkozy hamstrung until after the elections in a few months?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 06:001 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The lack of sympathy shown by the world for the plight of the Syrian people is striking, especially in contrast to what happened in Libya. What could be the reason for this? Is it strictly a case of Russian imperialism, where the back-room channels have stated "Hand's off. Syria is in the RUSSIAN sphere," in no uncertain terms? Why is France not readyin ...[text shortened]... owered carrier in the world)? Is Sarkozy hamstrung until after the elections in a few months?
    The Arab League considers Syria one of their own. Kaddafi was not.

Also, the French Rafale fighter-bombers have proven themselves. India is buying Rafales. No need for another demonstration. They are "battle tested" now.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 17:231 edit
    Russia has a port in Syria, its best client for arms in the Middle East. Russia has a veto. So ...
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 23:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Russia has a port in Syria, its best client for arms in the Middle East. Russia has a veto. So ...
    Cant understand why nato is not at least taking out syrias heavy artillary. Theres a massacre going on, Russia might not be happy but when are they ever. The pro intervenist approach bas almost universal regional support.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 23:55
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Cant understand why nato is not at least taking out syrias heavy artillary. Theres a massacre going on, Russia might not be happy but when are they ever. The pro intervenist approach bas almost universal regional support.
    Here's a good read for you on that question.

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/02/12/syria-russia-it-all-looks-different-from-out-there/
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    24 Feb '12 06:02
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/02/12/syria-russia-it-all-looks-different-from-out-there/
    Interesting read, but it isn't 1950.

In the internet age, military force just might not be enough to hold onto dictator-dominated, subservient, client states anymore.

Good riddance, too.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Feb '12 12:26
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy

Yeah looks scary from a european perspective. maybe the west should back right off and leave opposition in no doubt that they will have to negotiate with assad; or maybe an assad regime weakened by a prolonged civil war would be the next best thing to no assad regime at all for the west.
  8. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 05:43
    Hamas is coming out in support of the Syrian opposition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/world/middleeast/hamas-leader-supports-syrian-opposition.html?exprod=myyahoo

What interesting times these are!
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 07:35
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The lack of sympathy shown by the world for the plight of the Syrian people is striking, especially in contrast to what happened in Libya. What could be the reason for this? Is it strictly a case of Russian imperialism, where the back-room channels have stated "Hand's off. Syria is in the RUSSIAN sphere," in no uncertain terms? Why is France not readyin ...[text shortened]... owered carrier in the world)? Is Sarkozy hamstrung until after the elections in a few months?
    I'm frankly at a loss for a solution on this one. I feel badly for the Syrian people, just as I do for the North Korean's. America's resources are already stretched pretty thin, and with little help from the international community, I'm just not sure on this one. It seems there is too many trouble spots in the world.😞
  10. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 08:09
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm frankly at a loss for a solution on this one. I feel badly for the Syrian people, just as I do for the North Korean's. America's resources are already stretched pretty thin, and with little help from the international community, I'm just not sure on this one. It seems there is too many trouble spots in the world.😞
    I think leaving Syria behind now after all the has happened in the Arab world would be a mistake. What could be more important to the US at this moment than demonstrating to the Arab Street that America actually does want them to enjoy the democratic liberties people in other nations do? Making sure that Assad leaves is a way of sending that message that contradicts the years of "America is your enemy. America hates Islam." that they have heard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree