Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 22:451 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/14/bob-woodward-interview-fear-trump-russia

"Bob Woodward: 'Too many people are emotionally unhinged about Trump"

"I just think too many people have lost their perspective and become
    emotionally unhinged about Trump. I can understand that but that’s not
    the way the media should respond. The media should respond with what
    really happened.”
    --Bob Woodward

Sonhouse seems to be the most obvious example of a person 'emotionally unhinged about Trump'.
    Sonhouse has written that he hates Donald Trump more than every other person (even me?) in history.
    Regardless of the thread's subject, Sonhouse (when he's not trolling me, his other obsession),
    typically attempts to divert it into more "foaming at the mouth' ranting against Donald Trump.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:35
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/14/bob-woodward-interview-fear-trump-russia

the way the media should respond. The media shou ...[text shortened]...
    typically attempts to divert it into more "foaming at the mouth' ranting against Donald Trump.
    Look in a mirror.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:38

And Sonhouse is not a member of the media, so it's disingenuous to suggest that people like him is what Woodward is talking about.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:451 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And Sonhouse is not a member of the media, so it's disingenuous to suggest that people like him is what Woodward is talking about.
    Of course, I never claimed that Bob Woodward referred to Sonhouse in particular, given
    that there's no reason to believe that Woodward has any knowledge of Sonhouse's existence
    or even knows his real name.

My point was simply that Sonhouse seems to the most 'emotionally unhinged about Trump' writer in this forum.
    And I say that even though I may concur, more or less, with many of his criticisms of Donald Trump.

Why does it seem so hard for Suzianne to grasp that my context is this forum, not the US media outside it?
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:49
    I would definitely tend to agree, Duchess.

Trump derangement syndrome is real, and we see people here who are suffering from it. Everything the man does is exaggerated, and everyone's feelings about it are extreme.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:50
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    Look in a mirror.
    It's absurd for DeepThought to insinuate that I am nearly as 'emotionally unhinged about Trump' as Sonhouse.

Sonhouse has written that he hates Donald Trump more than everyone else in history.
    I believe that Hitler, for instance, had an objectively worse record in power than Donald Trump.
    (Tom Wolsey, a white nationalist, has implied that he admires and respects Hitler more than does me.)

While I have written many posts criticizing Donald Trump, I have avoided using profanity
    (which Sonhouse routinely uses). And I doubt that I am unusually prolific in writing about Trump.
    To be realistic, many, if not most, recent threads in this forum are about Donald Trump,
    so it's practically impossible to participate without referring in some ways to him.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:582 edits
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I would definitely tend to agree, Duchess.

Trump derangement syndrome is real, and we see people here who are suffering from it.
    Everything the man does is exaggerated, and everyone's feelings about it are extreme.
    I don't know if Bob Woodward meant to refer to 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' in particular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Derangement_Syndrome

"Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is a neologism used by its adherents to describe
    a reaction to United States President Donald Trump by liberals, progressives, and anti-Trump
    conservatives, who are said to respond to Trump's statements and political actions irrationally
    and with little regard to Trump's actual position or action taken.[1] It is "a mock mental
    disorder coined by supporters of the 45th President of the United States Donald Trump
    to describe his critics as irrational and unhinged."[2]

The use of the term by some on the right has been called part of a broader GOP strategy
    to discredit criticisms of Trump's actions, as a way of "reframing" the discussion by suggesting
    his political opponents are incapable of accurately perceiving the world. However, according
    to Kathleen Hall Jamieson of Annenberg Public Policy Center, the term could backfire on
    Trump supporters because people might interpret it to mean that Trump is the one who
    is "deranged", rather than those who criticize him."

"In April 2017 Fareed Zakaria defined the syndrome as "hatred of President Trump so
    intense that it impairs people’s judgment."

I would add, however, that Donald Trump himself is largely responsible for TDS, if it exists.
    Donald Trump's polarizing rhetoric of 'us against them' naturally drives people toward the extremes.
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:06

Sonhouse seems to be the most obvious example of a person 'emotionally unhinged about Trump'.

Oh right, and you're a pillar of emotional stability here whenever someone disagrees with you huh? 😵 😵 😵
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:35
    Originally posted by @mchill

Oh right, and you're a pillar of emotional stability here whenever someone disagrees with you huh? 😵 😵 😵
    The troll Mchill attempts to turn a thread about people's responses to Donald Trump
    into another personal attack upon me.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:58
    It's absurd for DeepThought to insinuate that I am nearly as 'emotionally unhinged about Trump' as Sonhouse.

Sonhouse has written that he hates Donald Trump more than everyone else in history.
    I believe that Hitler, for instance, had an objectively worse record in power than Donald Trump.
    (Tom Wolsey, a white nationalist, has implied that he admires ...[text shortened]... ald Trump,
    so it's practically impossible to participate without referring in some ways to him.
    No I think that you started the thread to troll sonhouse. The "emotionally unhinged about Trump" aspect is just the pretext. Look in the mirror - that is where the troll is.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 03:351 edit
    No I think that you started the thread to troll sonhouse.
    The "emotionally unhinged about Trump" aspect is just the pretext.
    Look in the mirror - that is where the troll is.
    First of all, DeepThought fails to comprehend that this thread's subject
    is "people who are emotionally unhinged about Trump", not trolling,
    which is the subject of another thread created by JS357.

Second, DeepThought is wrong to conclude that my well-justified
    loathing of Sonhouse is my only motive to create this thread.
    Bob Woodward is an important writer about Trump, and his views merit attention.
    I would have created this thread even if Sonhouse did not exist.

Once having created this thread, the first example that came to mind
    of a writer here emotionally unhinged by Trump is Sonhouse.
    Does DeepThought dispute the factual accuracy of my comments
    about Sionhouse's posts attacking Trump?

For many good reasons, I regard Sonhouse as absolutely morally despicable.
    But that never has been my only reason to create a thread.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Sep '18 15:09
    First of all, DeepThought fails to comprehend that this thread's subject
    is "people who are emotionally unhinged about Trump", not trolling,
    which is the subject of another thread created by JS357.

Second, DeepThought is wrong to conclude that my well-justified
    loathing of Sonhouse is my only motive to create this thread.
    Bob Woodward is an import ...[text shortened]... se as absolutely morally despicable.
    But that never has been my only reason to create a thread.
    I never started a thread with you as the subject while hiding it with the idea Trump is unhinged. You are incapable of being civil. Would you be this strident if we met face to face? I think not.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '18 15:19
    Look in a mirror.
    No, no, don't do that!

Have you no mercy?
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Sep '18 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I never started a thread with you as the subject while hiding it with the idea Trump is unhinged.
    You are incapable of being civil. Would you be this strident if we met face to face? I think not.
    Does Sonhouse dispute the factual accuracy of what I wrote about his posting about Donald Trump?
    Would Sonhouse like to deny the existence of his many 'foaming at the mouth' rants against Donald Trump?

"Would you be this strident if we met face to face? I think not."
    --Sonhouse

Like other obsessive stalkers, Sonhouse presumes that he could physically intimidate a woman into compliance.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Sep '18 19:17
    Trump polarizes people, both as president and as a private citizen. It’s his MO, a deliberate and finely honed tactic. He likes to get people on the back foot because it is easier for him to bully them if they are on the defensive from the word go. It is hardly surprising that this tactic upsets people; it is supposed to upset them; that is where Trump is in his element.