1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 17:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In principle you are right, of course. A monarch commands more respect in certain regions of the world where kings and queens are still revered. Still, that's like saying it's a good thing to have anti-semites as head of state because certain regimes regard that trait positively.
    No, it's not remotely similar. I'm claiming there's a tourism advantage. There wouldn't be a tourism advantage to having a rabid anti-semite as a head of state.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 18:042 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    No, it's not remotely similar. I'm claiming there's a tourism advantage. There wouldn't be a tourism advantage to having a rabid anti-semite as a head of state.
    Your monarchs help ward off the spirit of Oliver Cromwell.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 18:211 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yes, the Puritans pissed off to America and made it into the land of head-bangers it is to this day.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 20:33
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Yes, the Puritans pissed off to America and made it into the land of head-bangers it is to this day.
    😞
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 10:383 edits
    I would hope you had a happy Christmas, but of course being such a friend to the spirit of Oliver Cromwell, and part of America's Puritan tradition, you will be hoping to see that midwinter celebration with its pagan traditions abolished. Is this not why the Puritans put forward Thanksgiving as the correct alternative for good Americans?

http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs4.htm

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/ban.shtml

The NSA is today so much better equipped than the Long Parliament was to check your oven and ensure no goose gets cooked. I am sure Google or Apple can come up with an app.
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 15:39
    they can have the royal family, parasites.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 16:241 edit
    I would hope you had a happy Christmas, but of course being such a friend to the spirit of Oliver Cromwell, and part of America's Puritan tradition, you will be hoping to see that midwinter celebration with its pagan traditions abolished. Is this not why the Puritans put forward Thanksgiving as the correct alternative for good Americans?

http://www.oliv ...[text shortened]... k your oven and ensure no goose gets cooked. I am sure Google or Apple can come up with an app.
    Fortunately I come from a Catholic background. The Anglo Americans never had the kind of power that Cromwell had over there. They can't starve us or piratize us like they did over there. We even had a Catholic President. A Catholic Prime Minister is probably illegal in the UK.
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 20:16
    Fortunately I come from a Catholic background. The Anglo Americans never had the kind of power that Cromwell had over there. They can't starve us or piratize us like they did over there. We even had a Catholic President. A Catholic Prime Minister is probably illegal in the UK.
    There is no legal bar on a catholic being prime minister in the UK, though a Catholic could not advise the monarch on ecclesiastical appointments and related issues. As it happens, I think only Gordon Brown did not profess the Anglican faith. That can change but would be an interesting constitutional issue.

The US has only had the one Catholic president and in his election campaign he made a great play of denying that he would be influenced by Catholic - especially papal - political priorities. However, with 25% of the US population claiming to be Catholics it is not surprising that there are Catholics in all sorts of political positions there.

Nevertheless, the Puritan influence in US culture and politics is conspicuous and important. I am not even entirely sure that Catholics and Puritans are always too far apart on moral issues. The Puritan streak makes the US a very different country to any European nation.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 22:20
    The Puritan streak makes the US a very different country to any European nation.
    Thankfully. 😀
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 22:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Thankfully. 😀
    Yes, you exemplify it very well.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 21:09
    I guess if you are going to give the USA Cromwell's legacy we can take credit for Parliament.

You're welcome!
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 21:34
    I guess if you are going to give the USA Cromwell's legacy we can take credit for Parliament.

You're welcome!
    http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/originsofparliament/birthofparliament/keydates/1215to1399/
    King John agreed to Magna Carta which stated the right of the barons to consult with and advise the king in his Great Council

Earliest use of the term Parliament, referring to the Great Council

Sheriffs were instructed to send elected representatives of the counties (knights of the shire) to consult with the king on taxation

At a Parliament at Oxford, the nobles drafted the "Provisions of Oxford" which calls for regular Parliaments with representatives from the counties

Simon de Montfort, in rebellion against Henry III, summoned a Parliament which included for the first time representatives of both the counties and towns

The Clerk of the Parliaments began to compile the Rolls of Parliament, the records of proceedings, particularly the petitions and acts passed

Quite a lot has yet to happen before we get to Cromwell but if you think the Americans invented the UK parliament, that fits with the general quality of history I hear from Americans.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 21:42
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You're right, Buckingham Palace would cease to be a magnet for American tourists, and our tabloids would have little to write about.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 21:46
    http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/originsofparliament/birthofparliament/keydates/1215to1399/[quote]1215
    King John agreed to Magna Carta which stated the right of the barons to consult with and advise the king in his Great Council

Earliest use of the term Parliament, referring to the Great Council

Sher ...[text shortened]... invented the UK parliament, that fits with the general quality of history I hear from Americans.
    There is a city in the south east of England were the locals speak in a country bumpkin dialect . They also sit on their porch's chewing straw and playing banjo's. It is said that the American accent originated from this area of England crossing the Atlantic with these fine folk .
    The city is Norwich (England ) the city that Cromwell hailed from, and many of his puritans . 🙂
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 21:461 edit
    .....if you think the Americans invented the UK parliament, that fits with the general quality of history I hear from Americans.
    If there is an American notion on Parliament, it is that the two houses mimic the bicameral legislative body of Congress.

Or it could be that the mimicry is the opposite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree