British Spy

Standard memberRemoved
Debates 26 Nov '18 11:53
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 11:53
    released from UAE prison, was pressure brought to bear.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 12:08
    @badradger said
    No, they let him go because it's nearly Christmas
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 13:53
    @divegeester said
    No, they let him go because it's nearly Christmas
    I thought that was the case obviously a mincespy
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 14:29
    @badradger said
    I thought that was the case obviously a mincespy
    Yep, that made me grin.
  5. RSA
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 16:09
    @badradger said
    In all likelihood, he was spying. Spying is part of international relations. Everybody does it (although the "five eyes" nations do not spy on each other).
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 22:38
    @ashiitaka said
    In all likelihood, he was spying. Spying is part of international relations. Everybody does it (although the "five eyes" nations do not spy on each other).
    No, he most certainly wasn't. The SIS do not use spies who cannot speak the local language. The UAE are not going to be particularly upset about SIS activities. What seems to have upset them is that he was in contact with dissident groups, they may have thought he could be passing information to them. Although an equally likely explanation is that he didn't pay a big enough bribe for the interview to the official who blew the whistle.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '18 08:44
    @ashiitaka said
    The five eyes nations share intelligence info, but that does not mean they do not spy on each other. They do spy on one another's citizens and sharing the collected information with each other in order to circumvent restrictive domestic regulations on surveillance of citizens. Edward Snowden described the Five Eyes as a "supra-national intelligence organisation that does not answer to the known laws of its own countries"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

That is why those five nations hate Snowden so much. He exposed them for being aspiring autocrats.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree