Can our civilization survive it's own stupidity?

Can our civilization survive it's own stupidity?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Dec 10

I see the climate going to hell in a handbasket, it already has caused low lying villages to be abandoned to rising sea levels, and our way of life seems tied to relentless consumption and we are already using up 50% of the planet's resources. How long can we keep this up? With the world's population inching to 10 billion, even more resources will be needed. It seems to me we are headed for a breaking point. Maybe even before the 2100 date touted by the climate guys.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Dec 10

"50%" of the world's resources? Based on what?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Dec 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
"50%" of the world's resources? Based on what?
Does it matter if the "50%" is accurate? His general points are indisputable. But you'll quibble about the exact percentile while the flood waters continue to rise over your neck.

rc

Moves
02 Dec 10

Originally posted by rwingett
Does it matter if the "50%" is accurate? His general points are indisputable. But you'll quibble about the exact percentile while the flood waters continue to rise over your neck.
even in the early nineties it was completely unsustainable, what have we now, the highest ocean temperatures on record, depletion of fishing stocks almost beyond reparation, deforestation on a massive level, melting ice caps, ozone depletion, indeed which country is willing to sacrifice its economy for the sake of the environment?

d

Moves
02 Dec 10

I think a massive world war is a more likely cause of doom than resources or climate change. How about a global war over resources.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
02 Dec 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
even in the early nineties it was completely unsustainable, what have we now, the highest ocean temperatures on record, depletion of fishing stocks almost beyond reparation, deforestation on a massive level, melting ice caps, ozone depletion, indeed which country is willing to sacrifice its economy for the sake of the environment?
A massive public limited company or corporation can effectively buy its way out of 'dirty practise'...they like to say, 'we're proudly carbon neutral,' but hide the 'offsetters' bit..they just pass on their 'CO2 debt' to the environment by paying biiig fees to faceless bodies that then plant trees, which amazingly die millions of years before the Co2 really does become neutral.. or come up with bollox ideas like pumping Co2 down old mineshafts and other abandoned fossil fuel pollutants, oil wells, to 'neutralise' them.( theoretically as sounds as making an international fone call with two cans and a piece of string between them given the immense amounts required, highly impractical but it sounds plausible )..Yaaa, I regularly fill up at BP because they're so so carbon neutral 'offsetting'...

rc

Moves
02 Dec 10

Originally posted by dryhump
I think a massive world war is a more likely cause of doom than resources or climate change. How about a global war over resources.
you mean like what was Americas oil doing under the Iraqi sand 😉

rc

Moves
02 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
A massive public limited company or corporation can effectively buy its way out of 'dirty practise'...they like to say, 'we're proudly carbon neutral,' but hide the 'offsetters' bit..they just pass on their 'CO2 debt' to the environment by paying biiig fees to faceless bodies that then plant trees, which amazingly die millions of years before the Co2 rea aa, I regularly fill up at BP because they're so so carbon neutral 'offsetting'...
i know, their petrol pumps are all green and eco friendly, Shell are the same, its like diesel is the most natural thing in the world, its even healthy and good for you!

d

Moves
02 Dec 10

you mean like what was Americas oil doing under the Iraqi sand 😉
Exactly, but forget about that, what about water? It's already becoming an issue in Israel.

rc

Moves
02 Dec 10

Exactly, but forget about that, what about water? It's already becoming an issue in Israel.
i live in Scotland my friend, we have more of the blooming stuff than we can handle or desire, saying that, like you say, for some its going to be huge, i thought they had huge desalination plants, i was reading somewhere, maybe is was Saudi, cannae quite remember.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
02 Dec 10

i live in Scotland my friend, we have more of the blooming stuff than we can handle or desire, saying that, like you say, for some its going to be huge, i thought they had huge desalination plants, i was reading somewhere, maybe is was Saudi, cannae quite remember.
Ah, desalination plants, why can't they effectively boil the waters...reminds me of when I inadvertantly 'poisoned' myself by brushing my teeth with the Canaries water supply...what an idiot but it was many a year ago lol.

rc

Moves
02 Dec 10

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Ah, desalination plants, why can't they effectively boil the waters...reminds me of when I inadvertantly 'poisoned' myself by brushing my teeth with the Canaries water supply...what an idiot but it was many a year ago lol.
LOl, same thing happened to me when i was camping on the Island of Arran, all these bikers came and got us wasted, i went to brush my teeth in the morning in a wee burn, it turned out to be one of those orangey kind of run offs from the field type of burns, luckily i was still numb from the night before despite cold spaghetti sandwiches that those jolly bikers were handing out, never felt a thing 🙂

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
03 Dec 10

LOl, same thing happened to me when i was camping on the Island of Arran, all these bikers came and got us wasted, i went to brush my teeth in the morning in a wee burn, it turned out to be one of those orangey kind of run offs from the field type of burns, luckily i was still numb from the night before despite cold spaghetti sandwiches that those jolly bikers were handing out, never felt a thing 🙂
Dirty rotten bikers, never would I count myself with that brigade 😉

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Dec 10

And we can never get off that roller coaster. Our consumerist economy requires perpetual growth to keep that house of cards from collapsing. It can only be sustained for so long, and the cracks in the foundation are becoming harder and harder to ignore. I'm afraid short term priorities will continue to take precedence until the very last.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Dec 10

Something in the vicinity of 70% of the world's water use is for irrigation. If that doesn't give you an idea of where we're headed, then I don't know what will.