1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 03:331 edit
    Mr. Whitaker has not been named to some junior post one or two levels below the Justice Department’s top job. He has now been vested with the law enforcement authority of the entire United States government, including the power to supervise Senate-confirmed officials like the deputy attorney general, the solicitor general and all United States attorneys.

I'd like to hear from the legal guy's here on this. SH76 and No1Maruder - Does the new A.G. have the right to simply step in and run everything an A.G. normally does without Senate Confirmation? Does his past comments and deeds about the Mueller probe weigh into this at all, or is it just noise? Are there any other legal hurdles he needs to jump over before he takes this job permanently? I'd like to hear from the lawyers on this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 04:29
    @mchill said
    Mr. Whitaker has not been named to some junior post one or two levels below the Justice Department’s top job. He has now been vested with the law enforcement authority of the entire United States government, including the power to supervise Senate-confirmed officials like the deputy attorney general, the solicitor general and all United States attorneys.

I'd like to hear fr ...[text shortened]...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html
    Due to his past comments about Mueller's investigation, he should probably recuse himself as Sessions did, but he knows that'll put a burr in his boss's shorts, so I doubt he will.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 04:43
    @mchill said

Whitaker can serve without Senate confirmation for 210 days.
    He's there to protect Trump until a qualified AG is appointed.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 14:03
    @handyandy said
    Whitaker can serve without Senate confirmation for 210 days.
    He's there to protect Trump until a qualified AG is appointed.
    oh poor baby... LOL
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 15:12
    @mchill said

What HandyAndy said.

He can serve for up to 210 days before Trump has to either appoint someone new or get him confirmed by the Senate.

Until then, he can do anything an AG could do. He is acting AG.

I don't think his past comments about Mueller will matter much except insofar as it may make some Senators less likely to confirm him.

Still, with (likely) 53 or 54 GOP senators, none of which are named Corker, Flake or McCain, I imagine Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 15:261 edit
    @sh76 said
    Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.
    Christie will probably bring one to his confirmation hearing.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 16:10
    @sleepyguy said
    Christie will probably bring one to his confirmation hearing.
    Nice! 😆
  8. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 16:26
    @sh76 said
    What HandyAndy said.

He can serve for up to 210 days before Trump has to either appoint someone new or get him confirmed by the Senate.

Until then, he can do anything an AG could do. He is acting AG.

I don't think his past comments about Mueller will matter much except insofar as it may make some Senators less likely to confirm him.

Still, with (likely) 53 or 54 GOP ...[text shortened]... med Corker, Flake or McCain, I imagine Trump could get a ham sandwich confirmed as AG at this point.
    Why isn't there just an immediate vote on the interim appointment?
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 16:38
    @kazetnagorra said
    Time is needed to locate his rape accuser.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 17:23
    @sleepyguy said
    Time is needed to locate his rape accuser.
    Have they found Gorsuch's yet?
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 17:36
    @kazetnagorra said
    you are displaying complete ignorance of how our system works.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Nov '18 19:45
    @kazetnagorra said
    https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44997.pdf

This refers to the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998. See Page 11.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree