1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 18:59
    Originally posted by Lundos
    And here I thought the GOP had that agenda too. What's the difference?
    The difference is that the GOP is run by the establishment, which means they are in the pocket of big business and big government (one in the same today).
  2. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:03
    And here I thought the GOP had that agenda too. What's the difference?
    Tea Party politicians aren't such elitist establishment types with at least a high school degree.
  3. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The difference is that the GOP is run by the establishment, which means they are in the pocket of big business and big government (one in the same today).
    So the difference is basically time?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 23:25
    If the Republicans take the Senate and keep the House that will be good news for America, bad news for the Mexicans.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Recent economic data is looking pretty bad for the GOP.
    Polling shows the Presidents gravest weakness is his position on immigration where his disapproval approaches 70%.

His handling or mishandling the economy is second highest in disapproval at over 60% and the number have been trending badly on both those issues.

I fail to see how any economic data is negative for the GOP, as they control only the House and have little to no power to craft or move an agenda.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:33
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Polling shows the Presidents gravest weakness is his position on immigration where his disapproval approaches 70%.

His handling or mishandling the economy is second highest in disapproval at over 60% and the number have been trending badly on both those issues.

I fail to see how any economic data is negative for the GOP, as they control only the House and have little to no power to craft or move an agenda.
    That control allowed them to refuse to agree to the President's budget almost to the point of putting the US into technical default on its debts. This muddies the waters somewhat regarding economic woes, they can't realistically claim any credit for success, but they can be blamed for failure.

In the UK losing control of the House of Commons basically forces a general election, the situation can't really happen. This means that it's incredibly difficult for a governing party to blame the opposition for the economy, except in its first year or so in office. Obviously though this brings its own problems, but at least we know who to blame.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 02:16
    So the difference is basically time?
    That's not what I said, but if that's what you got out of it, so be it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree