1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:54
    @capacrapa said
    I can't believe this is happening.
    I'm Canadian and I see your American news about abortion. (Her Body Her Choice!)

So Canada tries to one up that by saying an intoxicated person can plead not guilty by intoxication...and win.

Unreal. The protests...hopefully are huge and violent against the courts.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8832723/supreme-court-canada-extreme-intoxication/amp/
    Back so soon?
  2. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:58
    @jimmac said
    Is that a wrong ruling?
    Yes, it allows one to set up an excuse. The other example are not self induced.
    Agreed.
  3. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    19 May '22 04:00
    @suzianne said
    Back so soon?
    What, pray tell, are you on about? 🤔
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '22 04:13
    @vivify said
    "Intent" is a very tough thing to prove. In cases where potentially offensive imagery is concerned all you can really do is err on the side of caution.

Imagine a Facebook group where mothers share pictures of their kids playing in a bathtub. It's not that it's wrong, it's that the potential for misuse is far too high. What if a group of dads want to share such pics; what ...[text shortened]... ackface as a relic of the past than to naïvely assume everyone using it just wants to play dress up.
    Or better to view matters from the best of intentions, rather than starting from the negative.

The Vietnamse girl photo (running up a road from napalm bombardement: Phan Thị Kim Phúc) is nude.
    It’s an absolutely horrific photograph. But stunningly capturing at the same time.

Do you suggest, because there could be creeps getting off on it, that it shouldn’t be shown?

If someone’s blackfacing to mock black people or keep them from working, I agree it’s wrong. If someone’s dressing up as a favourite character, then it’s no worse than dreasing like Brave Heart, a viking or a horse.
    And that some people still get insulted by it, even though that’s not the intention, is not my cup of tea. I can’t be held responsible for other people’s lack of clarity on intent.

The Irish were oppressed for hundreds of years. Viciously so. You can’t dress up as leprechaun or a pint of Guiness on St. Patrick’s day?

I can’t laugh at the yada yada yada episode of Seinfeld… because I’m not Jewish?

Note the world you are then creating.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 May '22 05:182 edits
    @shavixmir said
    Or better to view matters from the best of intentions, rather than starting from the negative.
    In a less messed up world, sure. Not a world where a white supremacist livestreams himself shooting blacks.

There's specific context with the photo you mentioned that makes it okay. Imagine someone passing around random pics of naked little Asian girls. A guy in blackface has the same issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree