1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 May '22 01:51
    @capacrapa said
    I can't believe this is happening.
    I'm Canadian and I see your American news about abortion. (Her Body Her Choice!)

So Canada tries to one up that by saying an intoxicated person can plead not guilty by intoxication...and win.

Unreal. The protests...hopefully are huge and violent against the courts.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8832723/supreme-court-canada-extreme-intoxication/amp/
    What does this intoxication law have to do with women?
  2. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    19 May '22 01:52
    That was supposed to rhyme 🤔

Point stands.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 May '22 01:52
    @capacrapa said
    Trudeau has to end this or leave.
    Does Trudeau have any authority to overrule their Supreme Court?
  4. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    19 May '22 01:53
    @athousandyoung said
    What does this intoxication law have to do with women?
    You can get blasted drunk and commit a crime and plead not guilty by intoxication.

And get off.

College drunks Rape at Will...
  5. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    19 May '22 01:54
    @athousandyoung said
    Does Trudeau have any authority to overrule their Supreme Court?
    I don't know...

Why so defensive?

You agree with the new law? 🤨
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:151 edit
    @capacrapa said
    I don't know...

Why so defensive?

You agree with the new law? 🤨
    No but that’s no reason to blame Trudeau. JJAdams did the same thing in the formula thread - blamed Biden for Trump’s policies. You right wingers are sneaky like that - you twist everything into political attacks.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:18
    @vivify said
    Well, it did vote a for man with multiple photos of being in black face.
    Oh, I have an opinion about blackfacing you won’t like then.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:40
    @jimm619 said
    global news is not a reliable news site
    Is there a reason that you point this out?? I mean, is there. Do you know otherwise?? Otherwise why would you try to diminish the context. This is pretty damn serious, yes?
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:40
    @capacrapa said
    I can't believe this is happening.
    I'm Canadian and I see your American news about abortion. (Her Body Her Choice!)

So Canada tries to one up that by saying an intoxicated person can plead not guilty by intoxication...and win.

Unreal. The protests...hopefully are huge and violent against the courts.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8832723/supreme-court-canada-extreme-intoxication/amp/
    It certainly is an interesting ruling.

But, take a step back for a second and, without taking the possible effects of the ruling into consideration, compare this:

A person is mentally unsound (say a schitzofrenic dilerious in a psychosis) and attacks a person. The law (in Canada) says he isn’t guilty of this crime, because the accused did not have control over his actions.

A person is drugged by a third party. And completely out of his head, he attacks someone. The law (in Canada) says he isn’t guilty of this crime, because the accused did not have control over his actions.

Someone is at a party and drinks to excess and is completely out of his head. He too has no control over his actions. The Canadian supreme court says herein that the state of being out of your head and not in control of your actions doesn’t differ from the other examples given.

Is that a wrong ruling? Basically, the reason for being out of your mind and completely out of control matters not, the point is that if you are out of your mind and out of control, you can’t be held accoubtable for your actions in that state.

Remember: step back and forget about consequences, it’s theoretical.

To make it slightly easier: a man is speeding in his car, he crashes, gets terrible brain damage, stumbles forth from the wreck, completely out of his mind and attacks someone coming to help him.

Can he be held accountable for that attack, even though he’s completely put of his mind (in this case probably dying, or suffering from permanent brain damage)? Or is he guilty of speeding?

I think the ruling by the supreme court is sound (out of your mind is out of your mind), but that the consequences may be less than desirable.
    So, what I presume will happen is that an amendement to the actual text will be introduced by government. Making the intoxicating yourself part of it, if it leads to violent or wreckless behaviour, a far heavier crime. Which is more sound.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:46
    @shavixmir said
    It certainly is an interesting ruling.

But, take a step back for a second and, without taking the possible effects of the ruling into consideration, compare this:

A person is mentally unsound (say a schitzofrenic dilerious in a psychosis) and attacks a person. The law (in Canada) says he isn’t guilty of this crime, because the accused did not have control over his act ...[text shortened]... part of it, if it leads to violent or wreckless behaviour, a far heavier crime. Which is more sound.
    Is that a wrong ruling?
    Yes, it allows one to set up an excuse. The other example are not self induced.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '22 02:56
    @jimmac said
    Is that a wrong ruling?
    Yes, it allows one to set up an excuse. The other example are not self induced.
    That’s the point of the ruling, dear.
    It suggests that the reason for being out of one’s mind isn’t important. The fact is that if you’re out of your mind you can’t be accountable because you are non
    compos mentis.

It sounds logical to me. Yes, the consequences could be terrible, but that just means the law has to change to take that into account.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:067 edits
    @shavixmir said
    Oh, I have an opinion about blackfacing you won’t like then.
    We've had those convos before. You have a view of historically racist tropes that's divorced from that history, like with Zwarte Piet. You're aware of the history but look at him as just a character, and you see black face as just make up, etc.

What I find interesting about this is how you're able to school anyone on world history with great detail filled with nuance. Your knowledge of US foreign policy is deep, as is your knowledge of Russian and European history, which you've used to obliterate some of misconceptions about the Russian invasion. Your posts on the history of the Jewish race are goddamn scholarly.

But somehow you can't make the same historical connections when it comes race. You lack historical nuance about blackface, Swarte Pete, impoverished minorities, etc., despite being fully aware the history. It's not a matter of ignorance with you, it's a matter connecting that history.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:23
    @vivify said
    We've had those convos before. You have a view of historically racist tropes that's divorced from that history, like with Zwarte Piet. You're aware of the history but look at him as just a character, and you see black face as just make up, etc.

What I find interesting about this is how you're able to school anyone on world history with great detail filled with nuance. ...[text shortened]... aware the history. It's not a matter of ignorance with you, it's a matter connecting that history.
    Well, thank you sir.

I do, however, see the historic implications of blackfacing. However, as I weigh it all on the scales of Halloween pasts, I can but conclude that if I want to dress as Mace Windu or Jules from Pulp Fiction (one of my favourite characters ever), then there is no way to pull it off without smearing my white-arsed face black.

It’s basically the same as miniature war dioramas on facebook (this is going somewhere, really..): people recreate WW2 scenes by painting models and buildings very realistically. An example:

https://images.app.goo.gl/2SvKhhk2bu93Jqtn7

But, on facebook, you can’t portray the swastika. So the photo and artwork gets banned. Bloody ridiculous.

Why are both cases ridiculous? Intent.
    If intent doesn’t matter, then anything can be banned… oh yes. Pretty much coincides with my opinions on humor.

Funny old world.

And my appologies for going off-topic.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:42

Removed by poster

15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 May '22 03:535 edits
    @shavixmir said
    It’s basically the same as miniature war dioramas on facebook (this is going somewhere, really..): people recreate WW2 scenes by painting models and buildings very realistically. An example:

https://images.app.goo.gl/2SvKhhk2bu93Jqtn7

But, on facebook, you can’t portray the swastika. So the photo and artwork gets banned. Bloody ridiculous.

Why are both cases ridicu ...[text shortened]... h coincides with my opinions on humor.

Funny old world.

And my appologies for going off-topic.
    "Intent" is a very tough thing to prove. In cases where potentially offensive imagery is concerned all you can really do is err on the side of caution.

Imagine a Facebook group where mothers share pictures of their kids playing in a bathtub. It's not that it's wrong, it's that the potential for misuse is far too high. What if a group of dads want to share such pics; what about a group of random people who just want to share naked photos of children. All you can really do is ban such photos altogether because the possible misuse outweighs any good that could come from it.

Likewise, how can you prove intent with a swastika? How do you make sure its use doesn't get out of hand? Is the Rhodesian flag just being used as art or to rally other racists? No way to know. It's better to just ban its use. Should someone like JJ Adams be allowed to use an avatar of someone in blackface? How do we know who just like to play pretend and who is full of hate?

It's better to keep blackface as a relic of the past than to naïvely assume everyone using it just wants to play dress up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree