1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 05:51
    https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/11/gina-carano-fired-from-the-mandalorian-after-abhorrent-social-media-posts

So she, star of star wars’ “The Mandalorian”, twittered:
    “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

And this got her fired?
    Well, not exactly. In November she’d already tweeted that there was voter fraud and mocked people wearing masks during a pandemic.

So, taken into context I can presume two things:
    The polarisation she is twitting about is how republicans are treated (although that is not exactly clear cut): comparing being a republican to being a Jew in Nazi Germany.
    She’s a hypocrite. First she creates polarized political attitudes about health matters and then whines about whipping up hatred.

And Disney dropped her.
    Twitter was up in arms against her (and my opinions on twitterers are public).
    Then “people” (influencers... WTF??? And Star Wars fans) are up in arms screaming: “Cancel Culture!!!”

But, to dispose of the thread title, which I only used to drag your sorry arse into this discussion, let’s focus on two questions, I’m really interested in from a professional point of view:

Is a company, like Disney, correct in firing someone, if they project their opinions and the company doesn’t like it?

And:

Is government (local or not) acting correctly by sacking employees (civil servants) if they voice political opinions which are extremist, conspiratory or undermine the political agenda?

Very interested to hear your takes on this.
  2. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 13:40
    @shavixmir said
    https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/11/gina-carano-fired-from-the-mandalorian-after-abhorrent-social-media-posts

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to g ...[text shortened]... mist, conspiratory or undermine the political agenda?

Seems to me to have a person who stirs up discontent in a work force, in an office, is a firing offense. We have work to be done. I could be sitting next to Suzianne and start a fight. Simply put, the employer can fire the one who 'started it', or, lose sales, and then he has to fire people because there is no work.
    This is a great post, Shav, I will leave it at that, let us discuss it a step at a time, ...not so many weeds!!!
    So, her comments cast a bad shadow on Disney. Her comments simply cannot be protected by the first amendment, they go beyond that. It affects the bottom line, and the reputation of a very wholesome company. Republicans Jews?? Give me a break, dont jews go to Disney world?
  3. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 13:53
    “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"
    I see nothing wrong with that observation, yet THAT is the statement that is being used as the excuse for her being fired, no mention by Disney of posts about masks being ridiculous or whatever from months before.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Feb '21 16:33
    @shavixmir said

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to g ...[text shortened]... mist, conspiratory or undermine the political agenda?

1. Her take on the election was wrong and probably stated in bad faith.

2. Her Nazi comparison was unwarranted and borderline silly.

But...

3. Firing her from The Mandalorian was an insane overreaction

4. She would not have been fired if her viewpoints were not right wing

5. Disney has the right to hire and fire whom they please based on political viewpoints;

but...

6. It's decision in this case was outragerous.

Long story short: Disney has every legal right to do what it did; but I consider its decision to be reprehensible.

If government did what Disney did, it would be unconstitutional as a viewpoint-based restriction which violates the First Amendment.
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    14 Feb '21 17:26
    A lot of these politically correct pursuits are just nonsense.

The head of the Japanese Olympic committee, who is overseeing the Olympics in Japan this year, just got canned.

He was asked why there were not more women on the committee itself.
    He said, "because women talk too much and we would not get as much done"
    Bye.

People are so freeking sensitive. or have nothing better to do.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 09:23
    @earl-of-trumps said
    A lot of these politically correct pursuits are just nonsense.

The head of the Japanese Olympic committee, who is overseeing the Olympics in Japan this year, just got canned.

He was asked why there were not more women on the committee itself.
    He said, "because women talk too much and we would not get as much done"
    Bye.

People are so freeking sensitive. or have nothing better to do.
    Are you kidding earl the idiot admitted a direct discrimination in employment policy, based on a misogynistic fantasy about who 52% of the population are.
    Sacking was too good for him I do hope he’s hasn’t got one of the golden parachutes in his back pack that powerful men like to give their incompetent brethren.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 09:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 09:38
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Maybe they shouldn’t even have the olympics, it’s hardly espousing ideal of oneness and equality that the five rings are meant to stand for.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '21 09:453 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 05:29
    I don’t give a flying fuc about the olympics.
    Never have done, never will.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree