1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 15:13
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4572196

One little flippant one-liner that seems a little insensitive and you're fired. Yikes! When did we become so damn sensitive?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 15:24
    the whole thing is outrageous. Yankee fans need to make a mass show of support at the next game at the Stadium. Perhaps they could chant the name "Ronan Tynan" during the 7th inning non-stop and display multitudes of banners. Maybe the ADL can make some strong statements on his behalf. I hope he's back soon.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 15:57
    I think the most pathetic thing is all these "apologies" instead of people simply criticizing whiners for being whiners. This only reinforces this pathological "sensitiveness".
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I think the most pathetic thing is all these "apologies" instead of people simply criticizing whiners for being whiners. This only reinforces this pathological "sensitiveness".
    If you lose your job, then I guess you say whatever you think will help you get your job back.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    If you lose your job, then I guess you say whatever you think will help you get your job back.
    Sure, but someone has to break the vicious circle.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:102 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the whole thing is outrageous. Yankee fans need to make a mass show of support at the next game at the Stadium. Perhaps they could chant the name "Ronan Tynan" during the 7th inning non-stop and display multitudes of banners. Maybe the ADL can make some strong statements on his behalf. I hope he's back soon.
    I have an idea. If you buy me a ticket to game 6 (if there is one), I promise to chant "Roman Tynan" at least once every inning. 🙂
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:15
    From the article:

McGillion said Friday a woman sent an e-mail to a team official this week claiming Tynan made the remark while the woman was being shown an apartment in the building where he lives.

The real estate agent reportedly said to Tynan, "They are not Red Sox fans." He responded: "As long as they're not Jewish."

In an e-mail to the AP, Tynan said he'd previously spoken to the real estate agent about two Jewish women who had looked at the apartment and "how scary for them it would be for living next to me with my music and singing."

--------------------

I think I am missing where the joke is... Jews are scared of music? I don't get it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:16
    Argentina coach Diego Maradona is to be investigated by Fifa following his furious outburst after the World Cup victory in Uruguay on Wednesday.

Maradona delivered an expletive-laden tirade, broadcast on live TV, that was directed at reporters and critics after his side qualified for the 2010 finals.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said there was "no alternative" but to ask Fifa's disciplinary committee to open a case.

Maradona, 48, could be banned for a minimum of five matches and fined.

However, the head of the Argentine Football Federation, Julio Grondona, claimed: "If it were another coach or player, the matter would not have had such importance.

"Everybody knows he's a temperamental person and he's already said he won't speak like that again."

Maradona has appeared on Argentine radio and television but on both occasions he refused to apologise to the press for his outburst.

"I don't have to apologise," he told Radio Continental on Thursday. "All I was doing was reacting to all those people who have spoken out against me. That's as far as it goes.

"I'm not going to perform a U-turn. Everyone knows what has been said. It seems to me that a lot of journalists wanted the national team not to qualify for the World Cup finals.

"For me, that's anti-Argentine and is something I can't forgive."

On Friday he told TyC Sports television: "I apologise to women, to my mother, to Argentinian women, to Uruguayan women and to women throughout the world. But only to them, not the others."

Fifa is understood to be investigating whether Maradona's comments breach Article 58 of the organisation's disciplinary code.

Whole article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/internationals/8311013.stm
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:52
    Originally posted by darvlay
    From the article:

McGillion said Friday a woman sent an e-mail to a team official this week claiming Tynan made the remark while the woman was being shown an apartment in the building where he lives.

The real estate agent reportedly said to Tynan, "They are not Red Sox fans." He responded: "As long as they're not Jewish."

In an e-mail to the AP, Tyn ...[text shortened]...
    I think I am missing where the joke is... Jews are scared of music? I don't get it.
    the guy is an opera singer -- opera singers need to be capable of singing VERY loudly (and they also need to do lots of rehearsing to keep their voice in top shape). Even if you absolutely love opera music, I would imagine it would be uncomfortable living next door to that.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 19:13
    This definitely seems far too heavy-handed.
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 20:45
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Sure, as long as they shut up and go to the position of attention during the national anthem. 🙂

For the record, his comment wasn't that offensive and his apology was unequivocal and complete. The Yanks need to bring him back, period.
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 00:45
    One person's "joke" is not necessarily another person's joke. Stupid is as stupid says, and I guess he gets to suffer the ramifications of saying stupid things. I would have also told him "Thanks, but we can't have you back, sorry." There are lots of people out there that can sing God Bless America and not spout off stupid crap - I mean, tell "jokes".
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 06:021 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    From the article:

McGillion said Friday a woman sent an e-mail to a team official this week claiming

--------------------

In an e-mail to the AP, Tynan said he'd previously spoken to the real estate agent about two white women who had looked at the apartment and "how scary for them it would be for living next to me with my music and singing."

Tynan made the remark while the woman was being shown an apartment in the building where he lives.

The real estate agent reportedly said to Tynan, "They are not Red Sox fans." He responded: "As long as they're not white."

make sense now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree