1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:02
    Originally posted by SMesq
    One man's hero is another man's eco-fascist . . . . . the Heilbronner's have a history of pseudo-religious mental illness & it seems the latest generation are little better.

Imagine this guy running the Great Capitalist Gulag . . . . I'm pretty sure anyone with an 'off-message' perspective would be boiled down into a new line of liquid soap.
    Let me know when you come back to planet Earth.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So tell me, why do you think he wants GMO products labelled as such?
    So people can make a choice on whether or not to buy them.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:14
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Surely such labelling is nothing but scare tactics? It would give the false impression that there is something special about GMO products and something to fear when consuming them.
    So the question is why would someone want to carry out these scare tactics?
    Is he sadly misinformed?
    Is he trying to hurt particular companies like Monsanto?
    Is he trying to benefit a particular industry like organic farmers?
    What is his true motivation?
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:19
    Let me know when you come back to planet Earth.
    . . . . from the man dressed as Ming . . . . . that's priceless. ROFL
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:22
    Surely such labelling is nothing but scare tactics? It would give the false impression that there is something special about GMO products and something to fear when consuming them.
    Is he sadly misinformed?
    People have a right to know what's in the products they eat. That's why it's required that the ingredients be printed on the package. Printing the high levels of sodium in certain products, for example, is not a scare tactic. It's just more information for consumers to evaluate. The presence of GMOs is one more piece of information that many consumers want to know about. I fail to see why you would be opposed to greater transparency on this issue. It should be no more controversial than labeling something as being kosher.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:31
    People have a right to know what's in the products they eat. That's why it's required that the ingredients be printed on the package. Printing the high levels of sodium in certain products, for example, is not a scare tactic. It's just more information for consumers to evaluate. The presence of GMOs is one more piece of information that many consumers want ...[text shortened]... rency on this issue. It should be no more controversial than labeling something as being kosher.
    There is credible evidence that high sodium content in food can be hazardous to people's health.

There is no evidence whatsoever that GMO's in general pose a threat to human health. Labeling food as non-GMO is misleading advertising, even if ignorant consumers want to know whether or not their food contains GMO's. I would favour legislation that would force producers to also clearly indicate there is no evidence of a health hazard if they choose to advertise that it does not contain GMO's.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is credible evidence that high sodium content in food can be hazardous to people's health.

There is no evidence whatsoever that GMO's in general pose a threat to human health. Labeling food as non-GMO is misleading advertising, even if ignorant consumers want to know whether or not their food contains GMO's. I would favour legislation that woul ...[text shortened]... re is no evidence of a health hazard if they choose to advertise that it does not contain GMO's.
    Are there any health benefits to eating kosher food? Still, everyone puts the label on. Should Jewish people be expected to care about your opinions on Judaism, or keeping kosher? No. And neither should people who don't want GMOs. It's their right to not eat them if they don't want to. Your appraisal of their reasons are irrelevant.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 14:551 edit
    Are there any health benefits to eating kosher food? Still, everyone puts the label on. Should Jewish people be expected to care about your opinions on Judaism, or keeping kosher? No. And neither should people who don't want GMOs. It's their right to not eat them if they don't want to. Your appraisal of their reasons are irrelevant.
    It is well-known (I think) that kosher food does not provide any health benefits, people do it for religious reasons. GMO labeling perpetuates the myth that it is unhealthy, dangerous to the environment or otherwise detrimental to society. Once people are sufficiently educated, a disclaimer might no longer be necessary. Such a disclaimer will be ignored by environmental freaks, but will be helpful to the more rational consumer who is simply not well aware of what GMO's are.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 17:24
    Is he sadly misinformed?
    "Is he trying to hurt particular companies like Monsanto? "

You got it.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 17:27
    People have a right to know what's in the products they eat. That's why it's required that the ingredients be printed on the package.
    Is it? I thought it only applied to certain types of ingredients.

Printing the high levels of sodium in certain products, for example, is not a scare tactic. It's just more information for consumers to evaluate.
    There must be a reason for it.

The presence of GMOs is one more piece of information that many consumers want to know about.
    Why do they want to know? And more importantly why do you and the man we are discussing want them to know? Do you just want to satisfy peoples curiosity?

I fail to see why you would be opposed to greater transparency on this issue.
    I fail to see why transparency is required. You don't go around demanding that chicken eggs be labelled according to the color of feathers the chicken had. Its just as irrelevant.

It should be no more controversial than labeling something as being kosher.
    You know perfectly well that that is done for purely religious reasons. Do you know anyone with religious reasons to not eat GMO products?
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 18:29
    There's no law requiring kosher labels. If the non-GMO market were as dedicated and wealthy as the Jewish community then such products would be seen on the shelves of the supermarkets.
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 20:33
    Do you assume that successful capitalists must wear business suits? One would think that the freedom to dispose of ones assets as one pleases must surely come with the freedom to dress as one pleases.
    Successful capitalists may wear grass skirts, all it takes is the recognition of property rights.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 20:37
    Let manufacturers make the choice on what their product looks like, after all it is their product until you purchase it.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Nov '13 21:17
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Let manufacturers make the choice on what their product looks like, after all it is their product until you purchase it.
    There it is, and even ATY advocates he label his stuff as he likes, but don't force that standard on everyone.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 04:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree