Donationrwingett
Debates 03 Dec '11 20:44
  1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 20:44
    Community of Latin American and Caribbean States

This a regional trade bloc that was recently set up to specifically exclude the United States and Canada. It consists of all of North and South America except for the US, Canada and French and Dutch possessions. CELAC is being created to deepen Latin American Integration and to reduce the once overwhelming influence of the United States on the politics and economics of Latin America, and is seen as an alternative to the Organization of American States (OAS). Hugo Chavez and Sebastián Piñera of Chile were selected as co-chairs of the organization.

Of course this event was almost completely ignored by US news, so some of you may have to do a little research yet. But my question is: Does this represent a crushing defeat for US imperialism, or only a minor one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELAC
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 01:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]Community of Latin American and Caribbean States

This a regional trade bloc that was recently set up to specifically exclude the United States and Canada. It consists of all of North and South America except for the US, Canada and French and Dutch possessions. CELAC is being created to deepen Latin American Integration and to reduce the once overw ...[text shortened]... crushing defeat for US imperialism, or only a minor one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELAC[/b]
    No defeat at all because the US will likely soon join what should rightly be called the Native American Coalition when Latins (really Americans or Indians or my favorite term for us all - Natives) are in the majority. Viva la Reconquista!
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 03:181 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]Community of Latin American and Caribbean States

This a regional trade bloc that was recently set up to specifically exclude the United States and Canada. It consists of all of North and South America except for the US, Canada and French and Dutch possessions. CELAC is being created to deepen Latin American Integration and to reduce the once overw ...[text shortened]... crushing defeat for US imperialism, or only a minor one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELAC[/b]
    There isn't anything truly original or innovative about this new trade bloc, it brings nothing to its member countries but a superficial feeling of independence.

The mancipation from the historically domineering US influence on the continent didn't by any stretch of the imagination result from the creation of this particular international body or indeed any of its predecessors (Mercosur, etc), but from a gradual shift in the balance of power as Latin-America slowly but surely became more prosperous and economically powerful in relation to the US, generally speaking.

The Celac shares the same qualities as Mercosur and the Unasur in the sense that more than anything they have been established as a means to undermine relations between America and its southern neighbors, primarily for ideological reasons. Its no surprise that it was passionately advocated by Hugo Chavez, since these organizations are ultimately a platform for propaganda and belligerent hyperbole, precisely the kind of theatrics that Chavez depends on to maintain his support at home in order to distract the populace from the damage he has caused to the country's finances and its image abroad.

Only the countries who are willing to cling on to the fantasy of the Bolivarian revolution have paid any attention to this latest development, it didn't even win the distinction of being a major headline in the Brazilian newspaper I occasionally read, it was tucked away in the international section.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Dec '11 12:50
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    There isn't anything truly original or innovative about this new trade bloc, it brings nothing to its member countries but a superficial feeling of independence.

The mancipation from the historically domineering US influence on the continent didn't by any stretch of the imagination result from the creation of this particular international body or ...[text shortened]... he Brazilian newspaper I occasionally read, it was tucked away in the international section.
    So I'll put you down for 'minor defeat.'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree