1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 May '16 20:20
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    no child labor, under any circumstance[/b]
    No babysitting? no newspaper routes? no helping in a place your parents own? no chores around the house?

my kids have mandated community service as a graduation requirement. It seems like many people believe children should work and irrespective of pay.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '16 23:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm all for "good" public schools. One thing that would enhance their "goodness" is not forcing students to be there.
    I agree, but on the other side, I would favor not forcing people in general to pay for public schools. Let the user pay, which would force the school proprietor to show value in his product. We accept garbage public education, because it is mandated.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '16 23:16
    Originally posted by quackquack
    No babysitting? no newspaper routes? no helping in a place your parents own? no chores around the house?

my kids have mandated community service as a graduation requirement. It seems like many people believe children should work and irrespective of pay.
    I suspect that Z's personal uselessness is due to his life of perpetual leisure.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 May '16 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I agree, but on the other side, I would favor not forcing people in general to pay for public schools. Let the user pay, which would force the school proprietor to show value in his product. We accept garbage public education, because it is mandated.
    Given that public schools, like public libraries, parks and many other public goods, have significant positive externalities, I don't agree. That proposal is just a not very subtle way to abolish public schools severely disadvantaging the poor and working class (as almost all your policy preferences do).
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    21 May '16 08:06
    Given that public schools, like public libraries, parks and many other public goods, have significant positive externalities, I don't agree. That proposal is just a not very subtle way to abolish public schools severely disadvantaging the poor and working class (as almost all your policy preferences do).
    They have to pay for them anyway, those things don't appear by goobermint majic. In some cases poor folk and working class would like to decide what their own priorities are, for example the mortgage or food rather than a park or library.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    21 May '16 08:25
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    They have to pay for them anyway, those things don't appear by goobermint majic. In some cases poor folk and working class would like to decide what their own priorities are, for example the mortgage or food rather than a park or library.
    Yeah, or they could prefer paying for their mortgage or food instead of protection against force and fraud.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 May '16 12:46
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    They get to decide .................... by democratic vote.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 May '16 13:21
    Originally posted by quackquack

"No babysitting? no newspaper routes? no helping in a place your parents own? no chores around the house? "
    those aren't child labour. how about you don't compare working in the summer sun for 3000$ a year in often toxic environment with a cheerleader sitting on a couch watching tv for 2 hours
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    22 May '16 02:17
    They get to decide .................... by democratic vote.
    Right, when 49.99% vote against x, they're actually deciding in favour of x.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree