Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Jun '10 14:02 / 1 edit
    Anyone with a minimum knowledge of real history knows that the USA intervention in Indochina started during the First Indochina War and that American intervention in the Second Indochina War started with Kennedy.

    The drunken debauched moron that was Kennedy decided that he knew better than any Vietnamese what would be good for them and started and engaged on a campaign of political disruption of the goals stated in the Geneva Conference of 1954.
    Given that it was almost a total certainty that the people of Vietnam would choose the "communist" way in 1956 a campaign of terror was started:

    1 - relocate the peasant population to areas where contact with the "communists" was avoided.
    2 - Chemical warfare with remaining peasants that refused to leave their areas.

    This vast campaign of terrorism and wanton slaughter was done with extreme ruthlessness and its effects are felt in areas of Indochina till this day:
    Birth defects are a common occurrence in some areas and the mortality rate within birth defects babies is high. For the babies that don't die their health needs are of course beyond the possibilities of their parents (and communities) and so an even lower standard of living occurs in this cases.

    The name of these programs were Subproject VI in Project AGILE and Operation Ranch Hand.
    Agent Orange was indeed one of the herbicides used in this massacre but in no way it was the only one: it was part of the group called the Rainbow Herbicides and the people responsible for these clear acts of crimes of war (if not crimes against humanity should be put to justice).

    Obviously no such thing is to happen in this world of ours and we have to be happy with the next best thing:

    Washington - Thirty-five years after the end of the Vietnam War, a joint U.S.-Vietnamese panel endorsed a 10-year, 300-million-dollar "plan of action" to deal with the deadly health and environmental legacy of the U.S. military's widespread use of "Agent Orange" during the conflict.



    According to the Red Cross, an estimated three million Vietnamese have suffered adverse health effects from exposure to Agent Orange and related herbicides, including some 150,000 children born with serious birth defects, such as spina bifida.

    ...

    Soil tests conducted in 2007 by a Canadian firm in and around Da Nang's airport, which served as Washington's largest air base during the war, found that dioxin levels there were 300 to 400 times higher than international limits.

    Breast milk and blood samples from people who previously lived near the airport, which is now a major tourist destination, found the highest dioxin levels ever recorded in Vietnam, more than 100 times international limits, according to the report.


    35 years its brutal assault on three countries, killing millions of people and having curtailed the level of life of countless more in Indochina, it appears that the USA government is finally showing some character (a tiny infinitesimal amount, but is showing it) and let us hope this is the start of a process of justice being done to the people of Indochina.
  2. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Jun '10 15:19
    http://www.truth-out.org/three-hundred-million-dollars-clean-up-agent-orange60515
  3. 18 Jun '10 16:42 / 1 edit
    I'm not a fan of Kennedy or his brothers, but "The drunken debauched moron that was Kennedy" ?

    Quit with The Weekly Worker hyperbole and people might take you seriously.
  4. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Jun '10 16:48
    I thought the dioxin contaminant was the problem.

    But still, it was chemical warfare and totally unacceptable.
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    18 Jun '10 16:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I'm not a fan of Kennedy or his brothers, but "The drunken debauched moron that was Kennedy" ?

    Quit with The Weekly Worker hyperbole and people might take you seriously.
    Ok. He wasn't that much of a drunk.

    But of course the fact that you chose to ignore the facts of the post and of the link are of no surprise.
  6. 18 Jun '10 16:56
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Ok. He wasn't that much of a drunk.

    But of course the fact that you chose to ignore the facts of the post and of the link are of no surprise.
    "OK he wasn't that much of a drunk "

    Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa OK that was funny first laugh I've got from this forum in a long time.
  7. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    18 Jun '10 17:45
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Anyone with a minimum knowledge of real history knows that the USA intervention in Indochina started during the First Indochina War and that American intervention in the Second Indochina War started with Kennedy.

    The drunken debauched moron that was Kennedy decided that he knew better than any Vietnamese what would be good for them and started and en ...[text shortened]... ope this is the start of a process of justice being done to the people of Indochina.
    If BP has to stump up $20bn, and rightly so, to clean up the oil spewing into the gulf of Mexico. Should America stump up $20bn to 'clean up' the Vietnamese countryside?!
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Jun '10 18:50
    I'm glad my government is doing at least something to help make it better.
  9. 18 Jun '10 19:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    If BP has to stump up $20bn, and rightly so, to clean up the oil spewing into the gulf of Mexico. Should America stump up $20bn to 'clean up' the Vietnamese countryside?!
    Agree. Every country in warfare should be responsible to the environmental cleanup.
    Didn't USA make Iraq to pay for the cleanup in Quweit?