1. CA, USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 12:35
    It rained in Southern California yesterday .. i'm pretty sure the end is near.

Pray to Darwin for help.
  2. Cosmos
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 14:02
    Originally posted by howardgee
    All the sites you've quoted have been shown to be written by people paid to lie by ExxonMobil.
    Why haven't you answered this post?

Just like your Psuedo-scientific site, you bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't happening.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 15:31
    Why haven't you answered this post?
    Please do answer my questions as well.
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 18:20
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Please do answer my questions as well.
    I am sure he won't, because he can't.
    His daddy is probably a die hard republican who tells him what to believe and which web sites are "correct".
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '06 18:41
    Bump
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 14:572 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I agree completely.

But is it compatible with:
    What use is an economy going to be when most of the planet is dead?

I think there are hyperboles on both sides of this issue.
    I did think of that actually, and reconsidered my comment.

But on reflection I wasn't saying it because I believe that we'll be wiped off the planet by climate change. I'm not really sure about the degree to which climate change will affect us.

My point was to contrast the two things/values at stake. If the choice WAS between 'destroying' the economy and 'destroying' the climate, it's a complete mystery to me why anyone would consider the economy to be so important to preserve. There is no inherent value in having an economy if there is nothing left worth spending the money on.

It's about risk and reward. I'd happily increase the risk of harming the economy to decrease the risk of changing the climate, and I find it really, really difficult to understand anyone who takes the reverse position.
  7. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:11
    Originally posted by flexmore
    please pick one and then lets have a much, much closer look
    You've got the link and access to Wikipedia, so you do it. I'm not your research institute.
  8. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:11
    Originally posted by flexmore
    knowledge advances through a central body sluggishly weighing down like a big heavy turtle.

climate change is that huge turtle.

you are a pesky little mosquito buzzing around the big armoured turtle ... mostly you just waste everyone's time ...

sometimes turtles get malaria and that is your 1 in a thousand
    hope for glory.

people like you need to be around - but you must understand that the rest of us will not simply agree with you.
    This is some real purple prose.
  9. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:12
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Just out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? What background to you have in science?
    That would be telling.
  10. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:18
    All the sites you've quoted have been shown to be written by people paid to lie by ExxonMobil.
    You sure are addicted to ad nauseam ad hominem attacks. I’ll gladly argue the science, but I’m not going to engage in defense against your name calling. If you don’t have any facts to dispute, then I consider this exercise over.
  11. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:20
    Could you explain this please (reference preferred)?
    You know what? You're pretty helpless: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1034077.cms
  12. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:21
    Do you have a reference for this?
    If I did, you'd just claim that they're paid to lie by Exxon because that's what it says on Wikipedia. Googlem yourself.
  13. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:27
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Please dial down the hyperbole a little. 'Hurting the economy', even if it's true, is hardly the same as 'causing such massive damage to the economy that civilisation collapses and we descend into the dark ages'.

I seriously doubt that the economic damage would be more than a few less people being able to afford plasma TVs and excessively large cars. We w ...[text shortened]... priately priced because the waste and pollution management costs aren't factored in.
    Dial down the hyperbole? Like: "To hell with the economy. What use is an economy going to be when most of the planet is dead?"

If you think signing on to the Kyoto agreement will only affect a few people in that they won't be able to have a big-screen TV or be able to drive a Hummer, then you should read some of the studies on the economic damage caused by Kyoto.

Pick your poison:

http://eteam.ncpa.org/issues/?c=economics
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:28
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    If I did, you'd just claim that they're paid to lie by Exxon because that's what it says on Wikipedia. Googlem yourself.
    Not at all - if you're going to make statements about science you need scientific references to back them up, otherwise your statement has no credibility. If you can't find one, and an objective, peer-reviewed one at that, just say so.
  15. Big D
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 16:28
    I am sure he won't, because he can't.
    His daddy is probably a die hard republican who tells him what to believe and which web sites are "correct".
    What's up with all the name calling? Is that the best you can do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree