1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 12:39
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Let's decide to limit our interest to the concept of risk. Risk does not require definitive certainty and so can tolerate scepticism. Ignoring risk is just plain stupid. How does Trump approach the risk of climate change where it matters - in his own investment strategies? Well, e.g.

The New York billionaire is applying for permission to erect ...[text shortened]...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-climate-change-golf-course-223436
    Wow. I'm amazed that I'm still surprised by Trump doing things that are totally in line with who he is as a person. Thanks for this link.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 12:59
    Utter nonsense.

The climate never changes. Here in my room it is a cool 72 degrees and never changes.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 13:20
    Originally posted by @vivify
    To be clear, the danger isn't just what his beliefs are regarding climate. Trump put as head of the EPA a climate-change denier, which (due to corporate interests), resulted in in the EPA reversing laws banning coal from being dumped in our waters, and the approval of a pesticide found to give children brain cancer.

Since corporate interests are at the ...[text shortened]... c.), there's no telling how this politician will use NASA to advance the wishes of Big Business.
    Environmental policies will slash the value of carbon - oil, coal - and destroy much of the fictional wealth in the portfolios of people like the Koch family. The value of their assets is based on their future revenue streams which, if we stop using oil, will reduce to a dribble.

However, all that Trump is achieving is to ensure that China and others reap the benefits from alternative energy sources leaving American manufacturers at a disadvantage.

It's not as simple as rich versus poor - it is a state in the possession of vested interests. Quite often it is one wealthy group screwing another. The people are not in the picture.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 14:52
    Originally posted by @vivify
    From the same Forbes site you post from about climate change:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rodadams/2017/04/30/climate-change-politics-trump-evidence-based-action-using-co2-free-nuclear-energy/#4cebc3f06c15

"Any future damage will come from burning more fossil fuels".

And here's an article from Forbes calling for a tax on carbon emissions to fight c ...[text shortened]... e it seem like Forbes doesn't agree with human-caused climate change, when the opposite is true.
    You mean Jim Krane is an alarmist who thinks the opposite is true. All sorts of writers express all sorts of opinions on Forbes.

A carbon tax will do no nothing since the climate is warming because of mostly natural causes. You can't fight what CO2 is NOT causing.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 20:18
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

Well, the ignorant part anyways. I hope I never get close enough to smell you.
    I was wrong: you definitely smell funny.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 02:091 edit
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    You say that as though you are unaware that NASA has been doctoring images, faking reality and generally been lying to the public since, well, ever.
    For one who prides themselves on understanding the world around them and the issues of the day, you are woefully and unforgivably ignorant.

You probably smell funny, too.
    The traitor continues to spew bullshyte. Notice how there aren't any Russians or Chinese accusing NASA of lying or never having gone to the moon. If Russia was the one who first put a man on the moon and some assswipe like the Freak started BS saying they never did that, how long would he live? Yet here we have a traitor right in our midst and he gets away with it time after time. He should be in jail talking on a jail pulpit and maybe he could convince his fellow prisoners of his traitorous ways as truth. I can't tell you the proper words to describe this cretin.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 03:10
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    ....streams which, if we stop using oil, will reduce to a dribble......

100% certifiable whack job.

Every human on this planet benefits from oil (except a handful who wish they did).

"if we stop using oil" there would be untold death, starvation and suffering. Every thing on your desk, the keyboard you type on, the screen you look at, the power that drives it, every aspect of the food you eat, the roof over your head, everything, and I mean everything, is there as a result of oil.

"if we stop using oil" jeeeezuuussssssss spare me the idjits 🙄
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 12:26
    Originally posted by @wajoma

Every human on this planet benefits from oil (except a handful who wish they did).

"if we stop using oil" there would be untold death, starvation and suffering. Every thing on your desk, the keyboard you type on, the screen you look at, the power that drives it, every aspect of the food you eat, the roof over your ...[text shortened]... e as a result of oil.

Er, you do realize when they say 'when we stop using oil' that means using oil for transportation fuel don't you? Of course there will still be oil used for all those products and lubrication products too but transport accounts for about 75% of airborne pollution and THAT we can control with proper technology. If we use green energy to the fullest, we will need very little of that precious oil for transport and almost all for products. It is going to happen, several countries are now planning to ban the production of internal combustion engines for vehicles in a few years and go 100% electric. It is the wave of the future and nothing can be done to stop it. The main issue is the loss of oil revenue and the economic problems that will cause for oil producers like Saudi, the US, Russia and so forth. It will require a massive re-education of millions of people out of oil and into green.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 13:051 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Er, you do realize when they say 'when we stop using oil' that means using oil for transportation fuel don't you? Of course there will still be oil used for all those products and lubrication products too but transport accounts for about 75% of airborne pollution and THAT we can control with proper technology. If we use green energy to the fullest, we will ...[text shortened]... o forth. It will require a massive re-education of millions of people out of oil and into green.
    Yep, heard about the new battery powered A380, can take 5 passengers after it's loaded with batteries and can fly 12 miles.

BTW apart from being a miracle source for energy, oil is used for a lot more than lubrication.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 16:59

"if we stop using oil" there would be untold death, starvation and suffering. Every thing on your desk, the keyboard you type on, the screen you look at, the power that drives it, every aspect of the food you eat, the roof over your ...[text shortened]... e as a result of oil.

All of the uses for oil we have (and there are many) have alternatives - renewable/nuclear power for electricity and transport, and biofuels for plastics, chemicals, etc. That's not to say it is a good idea to stop using oil immediately, and producing sufficient biofuels prevents environmental challenges of its own, but it's also a little bit overdramatic to suggest we cannot go without.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 11:06
    Yep, heard about the new battery powered A380, can take 5 passengers after it's loaded with batteries and can fly 12 miles.

BTW apart from being a miracle source for energy, oil is used for a lot more than lubrication.
    I already acknowledged that but you don't read too well do you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree