or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 18:142 edits
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    And when the rich are gone ?
    Then what ??
    Gone where?

If there were no more rich people the price of housing would go down. Housing is expensive because the wealthy are buying up all the housing so they can rent it for profit. Then they do everything they can to evict the poor so they can charge more rent.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 19:03
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 19:051 edit
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Actually I prefer high taxes on rich people. The problem with the Right is they refuse to increase tax revenue.
    I believe the subject was the US debt, which was already mightily high during the Obama years. Not "taxes on rich people".
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 19:27
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    I believe the subject was the US debt, which was already mightily high during the Obama years. Not "taxes on rich people".
    Taxes on rich people provide revenue which can be used to pay down the debt.
  5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 20:15
    Great idea. Too bad the government has shown zero intention of ever paying down the debt. So then where does the money go.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 20:23
    The debt was high under Obama.

The debt is high under Trump.

Is one okay and the other not?

How much of your (dis)like of the national debt is fueled by who the current president is?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 21:05
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    The debt was high under Obama.

The debt is high under Trump.

Is one okay and the other not?

How much of your (dis)like of the national debt is fueled by who the current president is?
    "Fuelled"? None. But I know that the cult of tax cuts is the problem.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 21:05
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Great idea. Too bad the government has shown zero intention of ever paying down the debt. So then where does the money go.
    Clinton ran a federal surplus.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 21:08
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_public_debt#Changes_in_debt_by_political_affiliation

Economist Mike Kimel has noted that the former Democratic Presidents (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon B. Johnson, John F. Kennedy, and Harry S. Truman) all reduced public debt as a share of GDP, while the last four Republican Presidents (George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford) all oversaw an increase in the country's indebtedness.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 22:33
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_public_debt#Changes_in_debt_by_political_affiliation

Economist Mike Kimel has noted that the former Democratic Presidents (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon B. Johnson, John F. Kennedy, and Harry S. Truman) all reduced public debt as a share of GDP, while the last four Republican P ...[text shortened]... h, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford) all oversaw an increase in the country's indebtedness.
    Wow, what a shocker. Anything to make less government, which I call abrogation of responsibility so companies, having bought US government, can go back to dumping toxins into local creeks, cut pay to 4 bucks an hour, increase working hours, give no medical benefits and so forth.

Republican government, an oxymoron.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    28 Jun '18 00:14
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    tongue-in-cheek.
    Got enough room in that cheek ??

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree