1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:43
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I personally sympathize with polygamy, for example, and would like for a women to be able to marry 10 men if she wanted, for instance. Yet, I also know that individual rights are not constitutionally unlimited.
    Everyone knows that individual rights are not unlimited. You use this fact to rationalize an inconsistant application of prejudice. That's ok, it's only human.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:44
    Our entire infrastructure including banking, property, and other economic considerations, as well as family law including marriage, children, property rights, and other legal structures, are all based on 2 people marrying. That infrastructure is essentially unaffected by the sex of the 2 people marrying.

It is an incredibly big leap to go from 2 people ...[text shortened]... t in prohibiting 1 million people from marrying each other.

You seem to completely miss that.
    And to add to that, someone who is gay is only capable of being attracted to, and loving (in that way) the same sex.

There is no sexual orientation that only allows someone to love more than one person at once.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:46
    Our entire infrastructure including banking, property, and other economic considerations, as well as family law including marriage, children, property rights, and other legal structures, are all based on 2 people marrying. That infrastructure is essentially unaffected by the sex of the 2 people marrying.

It is an incredibly big leap to go from 2 people ...[text shortened]... t in prohibiting 1 million people from marrying each other.

You seem to completely miss that.
    It seems to me that such laws should not apply to marriage at all. Trying to tie children to marriage is a joke in the modern world. In the same way, property rights tied to marriage is a joke. Why force people into a marriage simply to get rights that one should be able to get through any legal document?

Even so, limiting the number of a plural marriage to three or four would work just as well as 2. Why limit it to 2?
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:49
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It seems to me that such laws should not apply to marriage at all. Trying to tie children to marriage is a joke in the modern world. In the same way, property rights tied to marriage is a joke. Why force people into a marriage simply to get rights that one should be able to get through any legal document?

Even so, limiting the number of a plural marriage to three or four would work just as well as 2. Why limit it to 2?
    I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's a very different issue than gay marriage for the reason I outlined above.

Someone who is gay is only capable of being attracted to, and loving (in that way) the same sex.

There is no sexual orientation that only allows someone to love more than one person at once, but there a millions of gay Americans.
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:50
    This decision is a step forward towards equality for polygamists. Come on Utah, legalize polygamy!
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:522 edits
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    This decision is a step forward towards equality for polygamists. Come on Utah, legalize polygamy!
    I am worried that traditional marriages in my family and among my friends will collapse without a federal law to defend it.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:54
    I am worried that traditional marriage is going to collapse without a federal bill to "defend" it.
    The States get to define what marriage is, not the Federal government.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:55
    Ah, yes. The old slippery slope "I can't rebut the actual topic" argument.
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:57
    And you support states making interracial marriage illegal? Or is the "states rights" angle just smokescreen?
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 19:58
    I am worried that traditional marriages in my family and among my friends will collapse without a federal law to defend it.
    Becareful out there moon beam.
    I just heard there is a high probability that heterolsexual married couples will be rioting in the streets.
    Stay away from all government buildings for the next few days.
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:01
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Ah, yes. The old slippery slope "I can't rebut the actual topic" argument.
    What? I sincerely believe polygamy should be legal.
  12. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:05
    Exactly. That's my point. Your heterosexual marriage may be more likely to fail now that some states allow gay marriage, and there is no Defense of Marriage Act.
  13. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:06
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Becareful out there moon beam.
    I just heard there is a high probability that heterolsexual married couples will be rioting in the streets.
    Stay away from all government buildings for the next few days.
    Ha, good one. That is your best post in a while.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:15
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    And you support states making interracial marriage illegal? Or is the "states rights" angle just smokescreen?
    The States cannot make interracial marriage illegal. See Loving v. Virginia. The Windsor decision, which was just released today by the US Supreme Court, was a States rights decision. The Supreme Court ruled that States can define what marriage is and the Federal government cannot preempt that decision. The Supreme Court did not address whether a "traditional marriage" State can prohibit same-sex marriage.

I don't think this decision was a "smokescreen." Again, the Supreme Court Justices are not political hacks...
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '13 20:17
    Exactly. That's my point. Your heterosexual marriage may be more likely to fail now that some states allow gay marriage, and there is no Defense of Marriage Act.
    I don't understand your point. My heterosexual marriage is more likely to fail now? My understanding is marriage only fails when there is separation and divorce.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree