1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:12
    We're looking at a probable victory of the March 14, in a devastating blow for Lebanon. Formal victor will be announced tomorrow at noon, Beirut time.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:19
    Correction ... it's gonna be close. The Opposition's not ready to give up. The LF and Future Movement are claiming a March 14 victory, which is where Reuters got their info, but the votes are still far from being counted and it's almost neck-to-neck in many of the Christian communities.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There seems to have been an unprecedented high turn out. http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/20096714241072111.html

Supporters of democracy should be cheered, though I suspect that the spruce crowd will find Lebanese democracy defective if the opposition wins.

It does seem the parliament is skewed toward ...[text shortened]... the Christians; though they are only 40% of the population, they are guaranteed half the seats.
    There are few spruce trees in Lebanon.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 00:38
    It's definite. The darkness in Lebanon will continue.

Supporters of the Opposition, rally! This battle may be lost, but the war is not over! Long live Lebanon, long live Palestine, long live the Arab world!
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 18:35
    Originally posted by scherzo
    It's definite. The darkness in Lebanon will continue.

Supporters of the Opposition, rally! This battle may be lost, but the war is not over! Long live Lebanon, long live Palestine, long live the Arab world!
    How could it be a "devastating blow for Lebanon" if the majority of the Lebanese people voted for it?

And, what "war" is not over? It may be naive for me to ask, but the "war" against whom?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 20:43
    Since the seats are divided 50-50 between Christians and Muslims, it would seem the Hezbollah ideas must obtain a significant foothold among the Christian electorate. This they have so far failed to do. The returning parliament appears to be the same as the last one.
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 14:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    How could it be a "devastating blow for Lebanon" if the majority of the Lebanese people voted for it?

And, what "war" is not over? It may be naive for me to ask, but the "war" against whom?
    It was not a majority. Hate to surprise you, but there is no democracy in the Middle East. I was just hoping that maybe the majority for the Opposition would be so overwhelming that it would override the inevitable pro-Alliance rigging.

Against the fascists. The capitalists. The collaborators. Take your pick.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree