1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 21:55
    Originally posted by normbenign
    What do you think makes credit unions immune to whatever is infecting banks. From what I've heard, it is the government, not the banks that is ripping people off. Calling it a credit union is not going to stop a government.
    This can herald a worldwide revolution. This is nuts.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 22:07
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    A tax on banking deposits is going to " herald a worldwide revolution"?

"Nuts" is an accurate term.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 22:11
    If people in the United States realized how much of their savings the Fed steals by intentional inflation, and the subsequent loss of buying power, the revolution would be on now.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 22:27
    If people in the United States realized how much of their savings the Fed steals by intentional inflation, and the subsequent loss of buying power, the revolution would be on now.
    😴😴
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 23:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    😴😴
    Yeh, facts always bore you.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 23:381 edit
    Of course the single EUROPEAN currency will bring fiscal stability to all members. It is such a wonderful idea to harness economies of unequal strength and allow the lesser ones to transact far more than their base GDP will cover, stand back and watch the carnage unfold with Germany* waiting in the wings to pull it all together under one benevolent arm.

* paranoid jingoistic comment meant as a swipe at the Germans for inventing Nazis...and still trying to control Europe...
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 23:40
    Good point. Why is it that if some group which we happen to see as less than desirable get shafted, it is time to celebrate? Once the shafting starts, everyone is a target.
    I'm sorry, what made you think I had the slightest interest in whatever vomit happened to dribble from your lips?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 23:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm sorry, what made you think I had the slightest interest in whatever vomit happened to dribble from your lips?
    The post you answered wasn't addressed to you. You can always feel free to ignore and remain ignorant.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 23:59
    What do you think makes credit unions immune to whatever is infecting banks. From what I've heard, it is the government, not the banks that is ripping people off. Calling it a credit union is not going to stop a government.

Better?
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 00:48
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's bad for Crete as they will find it hard to attract foreign capital and depositors for years, it does the Eurozone no good as it's yet another bail-out which the rules for the Euro don't allow. The spread between PIIGS Euro denominated bonds and the Bund has widened, and Eire and especially Portugal don't need that at the moment. That Putin is comp ...[text shortened]... menides isn't so great. It probably won't cause a run on any banks outside Crete though.
    Of course Crete isn't Cyprus. A little confusion from me there.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:171 edit
    A tax on banking deposits is going to " herald a worldwide revolution"?

"Nuts" is an accurate term.
    A confiscation of assets as a result of government insolvency. Let's be precise. You think the citizens of Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and Greece aren't watching this very closely? You think if this passes, you won't see bank runs in those five countries, and watch the Eurozone economy lock up?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:26
    A confiscation of assets as a result of government insolvency. Let's be precise. You think the citizens of Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and Greece aren't watching this very closely? You think if this passes, you won't see bank runs in those five countries, and watch the Eurozone economy lock up?
    How is it any different from raising taxes to make up for a government deficit? That hasn't caused any revolutions that I know of.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:32
    How is it any different from raising taxes to make up for a government deficit? That hasn't caused any revolutions that I know of.
    Well...I don't know about that...
  14. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:37
    It smacks of 1929. And there's a direct tie between irresponsible government borrowing and confiscation of wealth.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:412 edits
    It smacks of 1929. And there's a direct tie between irresponsible government borrowing and confiscation of wealth.
    🙄🙄

This problem is because of what private banks did, not what the Cyprus government did. Taking in a ton of Russian money and using it to buy Greek bonds isn't exactly the most prudent investment model.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree