1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 03:33
    It looks like Conor Lamb has eked out in a win in a special election in a normally reliable Republican House district in Pennsylvania. Trump, who won the district by about 20 points in 2016, made a deranged (even for him) campaign appearance last week for Republican candidate Rick Saccone but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Special election since 2016 have tended to give Democrats 15-20 points more in these districts than they achieved in that year. If that trend hold in November, they will almost certainly sweep the GOP out of power in the House.

Is this just Trump exhaustion? The normal swing in US politics? Or something else?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 03:36
    We saw the same pattern with Obama. It starts with Congress and moves to the Presidency - after the current one has a term and a half with a hostile Congress and has stepped down.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 12:122 edits
    Well congrats to the Dims who are one more vote closer to impeaching Trump.

I fully expect the Dims to take full control of both houses of Congress, especially after the GOP ran on repealing and replacing Obamacare and then backed down. Then their wet dream of impeachment can be realized, really their only reason for living.

Can anyone say President Pence? 😵
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 18:56
    Originally posted by @whodey

I fully expect the Dims to take full control of both houses of Congress, especially after the GOP ran on repealing and replacing Obamacare and then backed down. Then their wet dream of impeachment can be realized, really their only reason for living.

Bill Clinton was impeached by Republicans for far less.

Hey Mr. Revenge...Mr. Justice just called!
    The bill has come due.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 19:023 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfe63

The bill has come due.
    But he was not forced out of office, was he.

So if Trump is forced out then the revenge will be doing the same to the next Dim POTUS.

Nothing but impeachment, or worse, will do.

Personally I would like to see Pence in there instead, but at least you have a sense as to the consequences if you have your way.

But assuming the impeachment does not go anywhere, the status quo is now the drum beat of impeachment no matter who the President is.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 19:28
    Originally posted by @wolfe63

The bill has come due.
    There are some serious rape allegations surrounding Bill Clinton. Just ask Juanita Broaddrick.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 19:32
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    There are some serious rape allegations surrounding Bill Clinton. Just ask Juanita Broaddrick.
    One sexual predator in Presidential Office at a time please. 😀
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 19:54
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Yes, and don't forget Kennedy and Harding and Thomas Jefferson.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 20:18
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Yes, and don't forget Kennedy and Harding and Thomas Jefferson.
    And Trump.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 21:25
    I can only hope. Serves you lot right, and at least he'd answer back to your beloved Putin.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 22:36

I hope that if the evidence of crimes and misconduct by Trump is presented fairly in Mueller's final report, that even many Republicans will wind up supporting impeachment. I do not think a Democratic House will vote Articles of Impeachment absent A) Overwhelming evidence; B) A Mueller finding of Trump being a co-conspirator; and C) A realistic chance of conviction in the Senate.

I have lived under conservative Republican Presidents for about half my life and often cringed at their policies. But I do not support impeachment of a President for mere political reasons and absent the factors mentioned above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree