1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 May '11 03:58
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/05/congress-special-election-medicare-/1

I for one am hesitant to believe that this result was simply due to a three-way-split.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 May '11 04:09
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/05/congress-special-election-medicare-/1

I for one am hesitant to believe that this result was simply due to a three-way-split.
    The Democrat got almost 50%, while the 3rd-party TP candidate got only 9%. And this is an overwhelmingly Republican district! So no, I don't think the result was simply owing to a three-way split.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 May '11 22:49
    Originally posted by willy wonka

The Republicans have saddled themselves with Ryan's Medicare proposals which amount to scrapping the program. It's amazing how quickly the political winds change in the US.
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    25 May '11 22:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Republicans have saddled themselves with Ryan's Medicare proposals which amount to scrapping the program. It's amazing how quickly the political winds change in the US.
    Someone has to be the grown ups. The GOP gambled they would be forgiven for taking away the candy as the public seems aware of and concerned about the debt. It may backfire.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    25 May '11 23:08
    Here's Ryan's latest pitch, BTW. People will either look on this as a sleazy sales pitch or leadership. I would think Dems would like the means testing since that would mean the Rich pay more for healthcare than the poor, but I haven't heard that mentioned anywhere.

YouTube&feature=player_embedded
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 May '11 00:18
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Someone has to be the grown ups. The GOP gambled they would be forgiven for taking away the candy as the public seems aware of and concerned about the debt. It may backfire.
    That type of moral argument would have a lot more force if the Republicans hadn't demagogued the issue in the 2010 elections by largely campaigning against the health care reform bill by claiming it "slashed" Medicare.

Grownups also might realize that 30 years of tax cuts might have had some impact on creating a budget deficit.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 May '11 00:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That type of moral argument would have a lot more force if the Republicans hadn't demagogued the issue in the 2010 elections by largely campaigning against the health care reform bill by claiming it "slashed" Medicare.

Grownups also might realize that 30 years of tax cuts might have had some impact on creating a budget deficit.
    What's more they want to dismantle Medicare to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy. Their excuse is returning the tax rate for the wealthy to 1993 levels would "kill jobs", because so many jobs were killed between 1993 and 2001.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 May '11 00:40
    Dems don't have the guts to cut spending.

GOP doesn't have the guts to raise taxes.

So the deficit rises...

Same 'ol same 'ol...
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    26 May '11 01:54
    Originally posted by sh76

So the deficit rises...

Same 'ol same 'ol...
    The Democrats at least made some concessions on spending cuts. The Republicans won't budge an inch on tax increases, not even a nominal increase for income above $1 million per year.
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '11 05:32
    Originally posted by sh76

So the deficit rises...

Same 'ol same 'ol...
    It would take more than guts to cut spending in a recession. It would be stupid.

Even raising the taxes isn't the answer. Deficits have never been eliminated by spending cuts during a recession. You don't pull money out of the economy. Deficits have always been cut or eliminated by expanding the economy - by increasing the rate of taxable transactions.

When the economy is in an inflationary phase, then you can cut spending.

Meanwhile, the message of the NY-26 results - "Don't f--- with Medicare." Unfortunately for Republicans, nearly all of them are on record for essentially bringing Medicare to an end and turning it over to such an efficient industry in private insurance.

The best health care reform would be to lower the age of eligibility to 18 years old. It would also make the system solvent by taking in money from younger people who need fewer services. Really, if you think that private insurance is going to want to cover those 70 year olds unless they are federally subsidized, then I have a bridge to sell you.
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 May '11 05:33
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The Democrats at least made some concessions on spending cuts. The Republicans won't budge an inch on tax increases, not even a nominal increase for income above $1 million per year.
    No. In California they won't even let the electorate vote on tax increases.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    30 May '11 08:37
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    No. In California they won't even let the electorate vote on tax increases.
    They stopped doing that? At least they wised up then, asking the populace in a referendum about tax increases is a horrible idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree