Debates Forum

1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 16:41
    @duchess64 said
    Kevcvs57 replied to Dood111.

Taiwan has a lower death rate per capita than the People's Republic of China.
    San Francisco's Chinatown (very crowded and poor) has the lowest death rate
    among neighborhoods of its size in San Francisco.

At that time, locking down was a new strategy, which was ridiculed by many Western 'experts'.
    Many Chinese griped (who would not?) abo ...[text shortened]... it succeeded in its
    overall aim of breaking the chains of transmission early and allowing recovery.
    The evidence suggests that most western states would not get anything like that level of compliance even as they see the bodies piling up which suggests a cultural factor. I don’t know enough about Taiwan to know how effective it’s centralised government is.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 16:57
    @gratis-pawn said
    Did China release covid to block a Trump re-election?
    This could be the most silly thing you've said so far that I've seen.

-VR
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 16:59
    @kevcvs57 said
    The evidence suggests that most western states would not get anything like that level of compliance even as they see the bodies piling up which suggests a cultural factor. I don’t know enough about Taiwan to know how effective it’s centralised government is.
    The Chinese (as well as Western observers familiar with both peoples) regard themselves
    as less socially disciplined than the Japanese. I have often heard Chinese say, in effect,
    "Oh, if we could only work together as well as the Japanese, but we fight each other instead."

After being surprised by SARS (which mostly killed ethnic Chinese), ethnic Chinese
    people everywhere took Covid-19 more seriously earlier than many other people did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome

"SARS was a relatively rare disease; at the end of the epidemic in June 2003, the
    incidence was 8,422 cases with a case fatality rate (CFR) of 11%.[4] No cases of
    SARS-CoV-1 have been reported worldwide since 2004.[5] As of 2020, SARS-CoV-1
    is considered eradicated in humans, but as the virus also infects animals, it is
    possible that it will re-emerge in the future."
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 19:41
    @divegeester
    Well, aside from all that.....