Dims pass relolution in 1960 for SCOTUS

Dims pass relolution in 1960 for SCOTUS

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
15 Feb 16
1 edit

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a resolution, S.RES. 334, “Expressing the sense of the Senate that the president should not make recess appointments to the Supreme Court, except to prevent or end a breakdown in the administration of the Court’s business.” Each of President Eisenhower’s SCOTUS appointments had initially been a recess appointment who was later confirmed by the Senate, and the Democrats were apparently concerned that Ike would try to fill any last-minute vacancy that might arise with a recess appointment.

The GOP opposed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

As it should this time.

Moves
15 Feb 16

Originally posted by whodey
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Sen ...[text shortened]... posed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

As it should this time.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/86-1960/s415

quote:

Although the vote occurred in an election year, there is no indication that this vote was about election year appointments specifically. Eisenhower had used the recess appointment power to make previous appointments to the Supreme Court, and Democrats objected to further use of the recess appointment power. No President has used the recess appointment power to appoint a justice of the Supreme Court since then

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Feb 16

Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Sen ...[text shortened]... posed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

As it should this time.
Apples and oranges.

No one has proposed that Obama fill this SCOTUS vacancy with a recess appointment.

Z

Moves
15 Feb 16

As it should this time.
that's for the past few months

obama has another 9 months in office

how about you chill

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Feb 16

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
that's for the past few months

obama has another 9 months in office

how about you chill
How about you use capitalization and punctuation?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
15 Feb 16

Originally posted by normbenign
Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Z

Moves
15 Feb 16

no

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
16 Feb 16

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Smile. 😀

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
16 Feb 16

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
no
Not interested in being better understood? Punctuation and capitalization do have real purpose, not just some arbitrary rules making typing more difficult for you.

Z

Moves
16 Feb 16

Not interested in being better understood? Punctuation and capitalization do have real purpose, not just some arbitrary rules making typing more difficult for you.
i use punctuation. i don't use capital letters just so you can have something to whine about when you run out of ideas. which is often.

if you have trouble comprehending my posts, ask and i shall explain them again. maybe with pictures. smaller words. would that be all, or will insist on being a sad grammar nazi some more?