Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 15 Feb '16 19:40 / 1 edit
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

    Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:


    Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a resolution, S.RES. 334, “Expressing the sense of the Senate that the president should not make recess appointments to the Supreme Court, except to prevent or end a breakdown in the administration of the Court’s business.” Each of President Eisenhower’s SCOTUS appointments had initially been a recess appointment who was later confirmed by the Senate, and the Democrats were apparently concerned that Ike would try to fill any last-minute vacancy that might arise with a recess appointment.

    The GOP opposed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

    As it should this time.
  2. 15 Feb '16 19:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

    Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:


    Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Sen ...[text shortened]... posed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

    As it should this time.
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/86-1960/s415

    quote:

    Although the vote occurred in an election year, there is no indication that this vote was about election year appointments specifically. Eisenhower had used the recess appointment power to make previous appointments to the Supreme Court, and Democrats objected to further use of the recess appointment power. No President has used the recess appointment power to appoint a justice of the Supreme Court since then
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Feb '16 19:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

    Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:


    Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Sen ...[text shortened]... posed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

    As it should this time.
    Apples and oranges.

    No one has proposed that Obama fill this SCOTUS vacancy with a recess appointment.
  4. 15 Feb '16 19:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/dems_in_senate_passed_a_resolution_in1960_against_election_year_supreme_court_appointments.html

    Read it and weep, Democrats. The shoe is on the other foot. David Bernstein at the Washington Post’s Volokh Conspiracy blog:


    Thanks to a VC commenter, I discovered that in August 1960, the Democrat-controlled Sen ...[text shortened]... posed this, of course. Hypocrisy goes two ways. But the majority won.

    As it should this time.
    that's for the past few months

    obama has another 9 months in office

    how about you chill
  5. 15 Feb '16 20:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that's for the past few months

    obama has another 9 months in office

    how about you chill
    How about you use capitalization and punctuation?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    15 Feb '16 20:56
    Originally posted by normbenign
    How about you use capitalization and punctuation?
    Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
  7. 15 Feb '16 23:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    How about you use capitalization and punctuation?
    no
  8. 16 Feb '16 00:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
    Smile.
  9. 16 Feb '16 00:01
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    no
    Not interested in being better understood? Punctuation and capitalization do have real purpose, not just some arbitrary rules making typing more difficult for you.
  10. 16 Feb '16 00:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Not interested in being better understood? Punctuation and capitalization do have real purpose, not just some arbitrary rules making typing more difficult for you.
    i use punctuation. i don't use capital letters just so you can have something to whine about when you run out of ideas. which is often.


    if you have trouble comprehending my posts, ask and i shall explain them again. maybe with pictures. smaller words. would that be all, or will insist on being a sad grammar nazi some more?