1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 14:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    Your post is emotional and does nothing to address anything that I said.

I didn't say there was not a non-ideal distribution. I said the presentation is misleading.

I think you're looking for a target. Since there are no apparent actual rich people here, I'll do as a proxy.

I'm on record on this forum many times supporting higher taxation of the rich. ...[text shortened]... he fact that I point out something that should be obvious doesn't make me "weird," only logical.
    Your post is emotional
    Ad hominem
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 15:081 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Your post is emotional
    Ad hominem
    Says the person, who, on another thread, just said to me:

"You are an advocate for inherited privilege, a servant of the wealthy elite and an opponent of meritocracy."
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 15:23
    Says the person, who, on another thread, said to me:

"You are an advocate for inherited privilege, a servant of the wealthy elite and an opponent of meritocracy."
    LOL
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 17:19

so are you saying his opinion is invalid because of something unrelated he did some other time?

did you at any point address his opinion or did you "ad hominemed" him some more?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 17:44
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so are you saying his opinion is invalid because of something unrelated he did some other time?

did you at any point address his opinion or did you "ad hominemed" him some more?
    huh?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 17:462 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Seriously why?
    Mainly because I like to see what the President has on his mind and what he'd like to do. But I also don't know if he's really quite that powerless. The community college idea has a chance even in a GOP Congress.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 19:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Of course there is a connection between the two, but the wealth distribution is much more unequal than the income distribution. I have no wealth to speak of but my standard of living is pretty decent with an income close to the median.
    The more skewed the distribution the more likely you will be near the
    median. In fact everyone can have a near median wage so we
    all feel happy. But it could be a great deal away from the mean.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Of course there is a connection between the two, but the wealth distribution is much more unequal than the income distribution. I have no wealth to speak of but my standard of living is pretty decent with an income close to the median.
    Accumulation of wealth is a function of saving, not of earning. If you spend all you earn (your income) you'll never have wealth.

I prefer to think of wealth accumulation, rather than distribution.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Accumulation of wealth is a function of saving, not of earning. If you spend all you earn (your income) you'll never have wealth.

That is grossly incorrect. If you use your income to purchase assets, you'll have wealth.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That is grossly incorrect. If you use your income to purchase assets, you'll have wealth.
    Purchasing assets is a form of saving.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 20:31
    Purchasing assets is a form of saving.
    norm: If you spend all you earn (your income) you'll never have wealth.

Incorrect.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 23:34

Yes I did, at the conclusion of a quite detailed argument in another thread, to which you did not respond. I consider my conclusion justified by the content but you may differ.
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 23:38

For a significant proportion of the population, if they saved all their income they would not accumulate wealth at a sufficient rate to avoid the intervention of starvation and penury. The rich save largely because their spending has to reach a limit and there is plenty more to save with. To a large extent, as shown in the statistics, the accumulation of wealth for the very rich does indeed take place at the expense of redistribution, hence leading directly to increasing poverty and inequality.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 00:12
    huh?
    exactly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree