1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 18:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Kill them too if they try. Let the property owners do it.

I don't know if you can,
    but can you get an owner for Ons,
    that's O-N-S,Junior Market,
    the address is 1934 East Aneheim,
    all the windows are busted out,
    and it's like a free-for-all in here
    and uh the owner shouldat least come
    down here and see if he can secure his business,
    if he wants to...

Opening of Sublime's April 26 1992
    I immediately think protection racket.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 18:322 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I immediately think protection racket.
    You mean taxes? Or maybe rent. That's when you get the men with guns for not paying protection.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 18:51
    You mean taxes? Or maybe rent. That's when you get the men with guns for not paying protection.
    Adapting Dylan: You're gonna have to pay someone.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 19:23
    Rioters are only 4% of the population? How come the hordes of law abiding citizenry can't handle such a tiny group?
    They make a significant lobby.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 19:47
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    23 polls say yes.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/19/1008582/-Twenty-three-polls-say-tax-us-more?via=blog_1
    Taxes are always popular if they are imposed on someone else.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 20:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Taxes are always popular if they are imposed on someone else.
    But I thought the rich (oh, sorry, the "productive class" because the rest of us are just sitting on our asses) just passed it on to the rest of us? Isn't that the mantra?
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 22:07
    But I thought the rich (oh, sorry, the "productive class" because the rest of us are just sitting on our asses) just passed it on to the rest of us? Isn't that the mantra?
    LOL! exactly.

A site note, referring to the rich as the "productive class" while calling everyone else moochers... THAT is class warfare.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 23:36
    23 polls Wajoma. All of them misleading and wrong? Every single one of them?
    Polls, statistics, empirical evidence, all count for little in Wajoma's world where ideology reigns and the individual is forever stuck in a conflict between the forces of statism and the forces of freedom.

His comments on the free trade thread have already made his views very clear on this.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 02:50
    I make a distinction between the rich and the productive. At some point most productive people become rich, and slow down or stop their production.

People making in excess of $250k per year are not rich.

Yes, like any other cost of goods sold, taxation on business will result in attempts to pass on as much of the costs as possible, as soon as possible. Some folks in those upper middle class income ranges aren't producers of product. Some must charge higher costs for their services, or reduce costs elsewhere, eliminating service or lowering quality.

People who ignore the costs of goods sold, will usually not remain in business.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 02:53
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    LOL! exactly.

A site note, referring to the rich as the "productive class" while calling everyone else moochers... THAT is class warfare.
    And that is misrepresentation of what most people referring to a productive class say. Moochers only represent a small percentage of people, and they may be moochers at any income level. Corporate executives, utility companies and others who seek government protection from competition are moochers in spite of being highly compensated. Many people of modest means are highly productive, but by no means wealthy.

It is your notion of trying to fit everyone into neat boxes that is class warfare.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree