1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 22:35
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Is it really your contention that all of the super billionaires are landlords? Gates, Buffet, Winfrey, Jobs all got rich renting properties?
    All four of those people are liberals....they agree with me about taxing the rich.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 22:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    All four of those people are liberals....they agree with me about taxing the rich.
    That isn't part of this argument, nor does it refute my argument on rent collection.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 14:03

On the thread title, wealth certainly can't trickle up. How much it trickles down depends on how little unnecessary interference the market gets from government.
    Silly claim. Wealth has been trickling up steadily for decades as measured in the distribution of wealth. The very rich have been getting dramatically richer, everyone else standing still or slipping.

Tiresome to hear the same-old same-old endlessly repeated. Nothing learned.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 14:14

2. Stop bailing out failed businesses, whether banks, or automakers.
    In the early Eighties Britain's first Thatcher government had as its mantra the phrase 'stop bailing out failed businesses', or in the language of the time 'rescuing lame ducks'. They wiped out 20% of Britain's industry in a few years flat and it has not been replaced with anything more competitive. Just wasteland. Countries like Germany and France took the opposite view and have prospered.

Neo liberal economics favours the speculators of the financial services at the expense of productive wealth creators. In Britain, rescuing the banks was justified by claiming 10% of British jobs are in the financial sector, but destroying the arts is not inhibited by knowing they also employ 10% of the working population.

An economic recovery based on renewed and untrammelled financial speculation fuelling another property and asset price bubble is what awaits us in Britain. I have long stopped caring what awaits you Americans when you dump Obama (a neo-liberal in any case) for the Republican / Tea Party vision.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 17:05
    Originally posted by techsouth
    When did it become the government's job to spur economic growth?
    what is the purpose of of the government then?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 17:34
    That isn't part of this argument, nor does it refute my argument on rent collection.
    Your implied argument is fallacious. I didn't say every rich person is a landlord.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 23:091 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 02:09
    " I have long stopped caring what awaits you Americans when you dump Obama (a neo-liberal in any case) for the Republican / Tea Party vision."

Well said. Not sure what to think of Obama (not liberal enough for me and it remains to be seen if will try to do anything for "the least of these"😉. In regards to tea-party - they are being used by the Koch brothers and their ilk to further their attempt to turn the nation into a plutocracy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree