1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 21:49
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/dont-panic/

Don't panic. Or rather, don't keep panicking for too long.

We tend to have a fairly left-leaning readership here at Cracked, just for demographic reasons (lots of college kids and such). So a lot of you reading this are outraged, sad, disgusted, terrified, and/or physically ill right now. Lots of you also use the stuff I write to feel better about the world, so let me give it my best shot.

First, understand that the opposite of panic is not blithe acceptance of the situation -- it's clear-minded, positive, day-to-day action. Panic makes you do stupid crap or, even worse, curl up into a ball and do nothing. Don't tell me you have reason to panic. You never have reason to panic. You have reason to act.

So yeah, be upset for as long as you want. Get drunk. Do whatever you have to do. After that, I want you to sober up, splash water on your face, and consider some facts:

Gay marriage has overwhelming support nationwide -- 55 percent to 37 percent against.

Legal abortion is favored by 56 percent, with 41 percent opposed.

The vast majority of the population supports background checks for gun buyers -- up to 90 percent in some polls.

A majority of Americans support some kind of universal health care, 58 percent to 37 percent.

64 percent of Americans are worried about global warming. Only 36 percent are not.

And -- get this -- Americans overwhelmingly agree that immigration helps the country more than it hurts, by a 59 percent to 33 percent margin.

Okay?

Your country didn't go anywhere. It's right here where you left it. America is nothing more than a big ol' collection of people, and those people are more diverse and progressive than they have ever been. That train won't be stopped. Donald Trump's supporters are by and large an aging and shrinking demographic. We didn't see the backlash coming, but that's on us -- a look at our history would have taught us to expect it.

It is continued on the link.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 21:54
    Slow down, slow down.

So I should get drunk, then get sober, then what again?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Slow down, slow down.

So I should get drunk, then get sober, then what again?
    "Consider some facts."

This is unfortunately not your best quality.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:02
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    "Consider some facts."

This is unfortunately not your best quality.
    Sadly only 22% of Americans agree.

I only am concerned with what the mob is thinking.

Sorry.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:17
    Who did you end up voting for, Woods?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:18
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Who did you end up voting for, Woods?
    The looney libertarian that likes to try and talk with his tongue hanging out of his mouth.

At least he is entertaining.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree