1. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 01:11
    after being acquitted on state charges, two of the cops in the Rodney King incident were convicted on federal charges and were sentenced to 30 months.

how is this not double jeopardy?

why not try all inmates twice, once each on state and federal charges? then we could keep them in prison longer!!!
  2. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 01:26
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    after being acquitted on state charges, two of the cops in the Rodney King incident were convicted on federal charges and were sentenced to 30 months.

why not try all inmates twice, once each on state and federal charges? then we could keep them in prison longer!!!
    Didn't the US supreme court say that subsequent federal prosecution does not apply to the double jeopardy clause.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 01:50

Trials by separate sovereigns are not considered double jeopardy. As the state of California and the United States are considered separate sovereigns, the double jeopardy rule does not bar the second prosecution.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 03:01
    well, then. why not try EVERY serious criminal offense twice?

law and order! that's what i say!
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 05:431 edit
    well, then. why not try EVERY serious criminal offense twice?

law and order! that's what i say!
    In cases where the alleged crime is both a state and federal crime, there's nothing to stop that from happening.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 08:19
    Am I right that someone can also be tried on civil charges?
    Isn't that what happened to O.J. Simpson?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 16:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It's not really considered being "tried" when one is sued, but yes, one can be sued for the same event after having been acquitted of criminal charges based on the same event. This, of course, makes sense, since there's a different standard of proof (beyond a reasonable doubt for crimes and preponderance of the evidence for civil actions).

The double jeopardy clause does not apply at all to civil actions. There's an analogous concept called "res judicata" that prevents someone from being sued twice for the same cause of action. However, that does not stop someone from being sued for a tort when having been acquitted of the criminal charges arising from the same event.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 18:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    In cases where the alleged crime is both a state and federal crime, there's nothing to stop that from happening.
    well, but how often does it happen?

if it's applied to police officers in proportions wildly different than their proportion in the general population, isn't that grounds for complaint of unequal treatment under the law?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 19:19
    well, but how often does it happen?

if it's applied to police officers in proportions wildly different than their proportion in the general population, isn't that grounds for complaint of unequal treatment under the law?
    Yeah, cops gets screwed by the legal system in the US.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 19:23
    especially BART policemen.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 20:28
    especially BART policemen.
    Tell it to the jury.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 17:51

King finally got some measure of justice when the Feds jumped in and convicted the cops of violating King's civil rights. When the system works (which is rare), it's a beautiful thing.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 20:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Rodney King too.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 20:16
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    King finally got some measure of justice when the Feds jumped in and convicted the cops of violating King's civil rights. When the system works (which is rare), it's a beautiful thing.
    I thought it was a civil lawsuit. Was it the Feds?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 20:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I thought it was a civil lawsuit. Was it the Feds?
    There was both a Federal criminal trial and a civil trial. In the first, two of the cops were convicted of violating King's civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in federal prison. In the second, King was awarded damages of $3.8 million.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree