1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 20:36
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Yes, I'm afraid, Eladar, that the days of cavemen dragging women around by their hair whilst carrying a club over their shoulder have long passed.

Except possibly in Alabama.
    Please! When have you been in Alabama, if ever?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 20:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I am not talking about self defense.

I'm talking about physically attacking another person. The first person who throws the punch or slaps the other person is not defending himself or herself.

Nice attempt to changed the subject.
    In the case of an intentional assault. A small woman slapping another is definitely different than a large. strong man punching another. In one case the usual result would be embarrassment, and in the other it might be death. I wouldn't call it a double standard, but rather a gradual sliding scale.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 21:03
    This thread does make one wonder why Eladar's ex-wife divorced him.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 21:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Foul! 🙄🙄
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 21:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 21:26
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Speculative. 😛
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 22:36
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    she MUST have been asking for it.

joking aside, she is asking for it right now. she married him. after getting knocked out. she wanted an NFL boyfriend and she gladly accepted a punch (and who knows what else) to keep her nfl star boyfriend. and then she married him.

it is no longer abuse, it is a business arrangement.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 22:39
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The required standard for self defense using deadly force in most States is that the defender must reasonably believe he or someone else is in danger of loss of life, or of great bodily harm. That isn't quite as simple a standard as "proportionate response". Whether a person reasonably fears death or great bodily harm is an individual evaluation of circ ...[text shortened]... o deadly force sooner than the stronger, to answer the OP directly. There is a double standard.
    and that is crap. you also should be required to prove you were in danger.

otherwise you're just uncle jimbo screaming "it's coming straight for us"
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 00:18
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    and that is crap. you also should be required to prove you were in danger.

otherwise you're just uncle jimbo screaming "it's coming straight for us"
    Believe me, you'ld better be able to show reasonable fear, if you even show a gun, never mind if you kill someone. You are speaking out of extreme ignorance.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 00:511 edit
    The required standard for self defense using deadly force in most States is that the defender must reasonably believe he or someone else is in danger of loss of life, or of great bodily harm. That isn't quite as simple a standard as "proportionate response". Whether a person reasonably fears death or great bodily harm is an individual evaluation of circ ...[text shortened]... o deadly force sooner than the stronger, to answer the OP directly. There is a double standard.
    I'm an Englishman so we have similar, but not identical, rules about this. I don't think your lethal force argument entirely works with these two cases however. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is an international law thing, the rules are a little different, but the Israeli response to Hamas' provocation is so far from what Hamas can achieve that I think a claim of "disproportionate response" is entirely justified.

In the case of the football player who punched the woman who attacked him, but did not pull the punch, I think my disproportionate force argument works in both English and US law, lethal force was not an issue.

P.S. Thankyou for responding to the substance of my argument unlike Eladar.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 00:561 edit
    Please! When have you been in Alabama, if ever?
    Half my family either comes from Alabama or still lives there. I've been there quite a few summers and winters. It's…you know: charming.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 12:04
    Believe me, you'ld better be able to show reasonable fear, if you even show a gun, never mind if you kill someone. You are speaking out of extreme ignorance.
    so you can shoot anyone you like just because you are a twitchy coward? as long as you prove that you were scared for your life? how would one disprove it in court?

wilson feared for his life when he shot brown.
    zimmerman feared for his life when he shot martin, even though he was the one following him, even though the police told him not to pursue.

yep, great law.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 20:56
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I'm divorced? That's news to me.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 20:57
    In the case of an intentional assault. A small woman slapping another is definitely different than a large. strong man punching another. In one case the usual result would be embarrassment, and in the other it might be death. I wouldn't call it a double standard, but rather a gradual sliding scale.
    The act itself doesn't matter, it only matters if it results in actual damage.

Hitting isn't wrong. Hitting if you are strong enough to do actual damage is what is wrong.

Got it!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 21:143 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree