1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '16 22:342 edits
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/abortion-doctor-kermit-gosnell-tv-702666

You all remember Dr. Gosnell, right? He was the psychopath abortion doctor that the establishment ignored for decades as he left a trail of dead women, infants, and aborted babies along the way.

Well guess what, the movie was tooooooooooooooooooo controversial for Hollywood to fund and tooooooooooooooo controversial for most movie outlets to play the movie.

Of course, making a movie like the Last Temptation of Christ which was seen as an abomination to Christians around the country was not too controversial I reckon.

Go figure
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 00:42
    Originally posted by whodey

You all remember Dr. Gosnell, right? He was the psychopath abortion doctor that the establishment ignored for decades as he left a trail of dead women, infants, and aborted babies along the way.

Well guess what, the movie was tooooooooooooooooooo controversial for Hollywood ...[text shortened]... an abomination to Christians around the country was not too controversial I reckon.

Go figure
    Keep saying to yourself, there is no bias, there is no bias, there is no bias, if you do this everyday for 6 months, you will be cured.😛
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 04:261 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Keep saying to yourself, there is no bias, there is no bias, there is no bias, if you do this everyday for 6 months, you will be cured.😛
    I tried but I go to sleep every time. 😞
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 18:58
    This is a film I simply have to see.

Has anyone seen it?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 17:14
    It's a real puzzler; normally Hollywood falls all over itself for the latest movie starring Dean Cain.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 18:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's a real puzzler; normally Hollywood falls all over itself for the latest movie starring Dean Cain.
    What famous actor would take up the role?

Do they really want to be ostracized and out of work?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 18:31
    What famous actor would take up the role?

Do they really want to be ostracized and out of work?
    There's lots of right wing actors in Hollywood.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 18:44

Well guess what, the movie was tooooooooooooooooooo controversial for Hollywood ...[text shortened]... an abomination to Christians around the country was not too controversial I reckon.

Go figure
    I can understand a documentary making the TV airwaves, but a movie about abortion...nope, not a moneymaker. No controversy there in my mind.

But about The Last Temptaion of Christ, what about it did you find to be an "abomination"?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 02:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's lots of right wing actors in Hollywood.
    And if they want work they will behave themselves and not star in movies that is deemed contrary to the Prog cause.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 02:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I can understand a documentary making the TV airwaves, but a movie about abortion...nope, not a moneymaker. No controversy there in my mind.

But about The Last Temptaion of Christ, what about it did you find to be an "abomination"?
    The last temptation of Christ was not a very good movie. The only reason it sold a lot of seats is because of the controversy. Here is a taste.

Christians were offended by more than one aspect of The Last Temptation of Christ. Particular incidents and dialogue were offensive, but the entire world view and theology of both the book (by Nikos Kazantzakis) and the movie (directed by Martin Scorsese) were objectionable as well.

For many Christians, the most repugnant elements in the movie are those in the hallucination sequence in which Jesus, while suffering on the cross, envisions himself as having denied the road to Calvary and having lived a "normal" life instead. He visualizes himself as having married Mary Magdalene and having sexual relations with her. She then dies abruptly and he marries the other Mary, Martha's sister. Later, when this Mary is out of the house, Jesus has an adulterous affair with Martha.

For obvious reasons, this sequence is deeply insulting and offensive to Christians. But the rest of the movie is little better, for the Jesus portrayed throughout is a fetid counterfeit of the biblical Jesus. At the very beginning, Jesus is depicted as a coward and traitor, working with the Romans by making crosses for their many crucifixions. Judas, a heroic and honorable figure in the film, castigates Jesus for this:

Judas: You're a disgrace. Romans can't find anybody else to make crosses, except for you. You do it. You're worse than them! You're a Jew killing Jews. You're a coward! How will you ever pay for your sins?

Jesus: With my life, Judas. I don't have anything else.

This rendition of Jesus as a sinner like any other man is a dominant theme in the movie. In different places, Jesus both confesses his sins and asks various people for forgiveness. In one scene, Jesus is in the desert with a group of ascetics, to whom he confesses: "I'm a liar, a hypocrite; I'm afraid of everything. I don't ever tell the truth, I don't have the courage....I don't steal, I don't fight, I don't kill — not because I don't want to — but because I'm afraid. I want to rebel against you, against everything, against God, but I'm afraid. You want to know who my mother and father is? You want to know who my God is? Fear! You look inside me and that's all you'll find."

The Jesus of this movie is simply a man, someone chosen by God to become the Messiah, the Christ. He is not God, but slowly becomes divine by following God's will. He is portrayed as a weak, mentally-tormented, sin-ridden person. This Jesus seems to teach universalism, that everyone will be saved. And he plots his own martyrdom with Judas, much against Judas's wishes, so that he can become the Savior.

The historical Jesus — the Jesus of Scripture and of the Christian creeds — bears no resemblance to the sinful and cowardly Jesus of Martin Scorsese. The Gospel of Luke tells us that Jesus did not become the Messiah or Christ; rather, He was the Christ from birth. Likewise, He did not become a Savior. The angelic proclamation was, "For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord" (Luke 2:11, NKJV).

The New Testament witnesses attest that Jesus is eternal God become a man to die and atone for our sins (John 1:1,14; 5:18; 8:56-58; 10:30-34; 20:28; Mark 2:1-11; Phil. 2:5-11; Col. 1:16-18; 2:9; Matt. 20:28; etc.). Jesus is described by all who knew Him as being perfect and sinless (1 Pet. 2:22; Heb. 4:15; 2 Cor. 5:21; John 8:46).

Likewise, His entire life was devoted to the truth. Jesus said of Himself: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). Elsewhere, Jesus excoriates His enemies as following their father, the Devil, "for he is a liar and the father of it" (John 8:44).

The mockery of Jesus which Scorsese offers is completely foreign to the
    pages of the New Testament, which is the only authentic source for knowledge of the subject. It is extremely affronting to the historical Christian faith, which worships Jesus as Lord and God!

Scorsese attempted to deflect criticism by issuing the following disclaimer at the beginning of the film: "This film is not based on the Gospels but is a fictional exploration of the eternal spiritual conflict." However, this hardly assuages the personal feelings trampled on by the blatantly offensive and unhistorical representation given.

I suppose the Gosnell movie could have generated the same level of controversy, if only the press would have covered it like they did the Last Temptation of Christ movie being a controversy, but they would never do that. They would prefer to ignore the movie altogether and not let people know it is out there to see.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 08:35
    The historical Jesus...
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 08:43
    Well, I've never heard of this Gosnell character before (had to google him... but any doctor with a muppet's name should not be trusted, if you ask me).

That being said, what else could he do with failed abortions? If he let them survive they would have turned into right-wing scum posting all over chess fora.

Honestly... I'd never actually heard of a failed abortion.
    What the hell???

Don't know if it would make a good story for a movie. That has never stopped film-makers before though. So, hell, go for it!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 09:132 edits

Go figure
    Have no fear though, it will reach the kids through alternative avenues. It seems that enough crowd funding has achieved what Hollywood could not, however expecting Hollywood to produce anything resembling substance is rather optimistic.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 09:192 edits
    And if they want work they will behave themselves and not star in movies that is deemed contrary to the Prog cause.
    Yeah, Clint Eastwood can't get any gigs.🙄🙄🙄🙄

If right wingers want to make what is obviously going to be a propaganda film of limited public appeal, they shouldn't expect others to risk their hard earned dollars distributing or advertising it for them. Hollywood, like most businesses, really only cares about the bottom line and this movie is unlikely to be profitable IF such expenses are added to its cost.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 09:241 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Have no fear though, it will reach the kids through alternative avenues. It seems that enough crowd funding has achieved what Hollywood could not, however expecting Hollywood to produce anything resembling substance is rather optimistic.
    I liked Queen of Katwe though it did not do well commercially.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree