1. Germany
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 16:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    It depends on the regulations.

If the regulations are such that only large corporations can afford to accomodate the regulations then that's what will occur.
    Beer is legal and sold mostly by large corporations.

Oh noes!
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 17:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Beer is legal and sold mostly by large corporations.

Oh noes!
    Will you get arrested or fined for making it at home?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 17:10
    Will you get arrested or fined for making it at home?
    No, but you will get arrested or fined for making it at home and selling it without a licence.

I wonder if we could do something similar for other drugs............
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 19:58
    I just looked up the number of deaths per year due to illicit drugs, about 46,000. Homocides using guns equal about 11,000.

What is more pressing on society right now? In fact, if the drug issues were done away with, I bet the number of homocides with gun use would drop dramatically.

What is perplexing is that a great number of those advocating legal illicit drug seem to also advocate gun restrictions.
    Like that song 'wi' your drugs and guns and drugs and guns, haroo harro....

Ah Johnny I hardly knew ye.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 21:27
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    guns can be said to be related to any illegal activity.

that doesn't mean we should solve all crime everywhere before we think to make guns and owning guns safer.
    Lots of crimes take place with no involvement of guns. Pens are probably involved in more crime than guns. Penalties for crimes are far more severe when a gun is used, so many career criminals do without.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    05 Oct '15 21:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Because it's true. It would obviously reduce the deaths involved in gang wars over illegal drug sales, but it would make the product safer as well:

8. Legal drugs would be safer. Legalization is a consumer protection issue.

Because "controlled substances" are illegal, the drug trade today lacks many of the consumer safety features common to other m ...[text shortened]... t. Legalizing drugs would promote consumer health and safety.

http://www.bmstahoe.com/Drugs/
    Nice cut and paste, but absolutely the truth. Drugs and guns are only tangentially related. And guns are Constitutionally protected.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 13:262 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No, but you will get arrested or fined for making it at home and selling it without a licence.

I wonder if we could do something similar for other drugs............
    I hear talk in some states regulating pot. They say that it needs to be grown just so to avoid such things as mold, spider mites etc. Many say that you need growing conditions just so, which is impossible for people at home to duplicate. Essentially they will require multi million dollar industries to only grow it in order to grow it "safely". So growing pot at home in some areas will still be illegal, even for your own personal consumption. If so, nothing will change other than creating a government sponsered drug cartel.

Have you ever heard of people dying from smoking pot? I have not.

It is similar to kids selling lemonade on street corners. Now they are requiring 6 year olds to have permits to sell lemonade. Really? How many people have you heard of that die because of drinking lemonade passed out from children?

I even hear in some communities people are being told they can't grow vegetable in their own back yard. This is all nothing more than a continued assualt by corporatly driven governments around the world to disempower people and make them slaves.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 13:55

If the regulations are such that only large corporations can afford to accomodate the regulations then that's what will occur.
    It looks like to me the problem is stolen guns. That can be fixed by smart guns that refuse to fire except if the owner holds it. That would make a dent and would keep kids from using their dad's gun like just what happened in Tennessee where an 11 yo kid shot and killed an 8 yo girl just yesterday. If it had been a smart gun, it would never have fired, saving the life of a precious little girl.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 14:531 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It looks like to me the problem is stolen guns. That can be fixed by smart guns that refuse to fire except if the owner holds it. That would make a dent and would keep kids from using their dad's gun like just what happened in Tennessee where an 11 yo kid shot and killed an 8 yo girl just yesterday. If it had been a smart gun, it would never have fired, saving the life of a precious little girl.
    Well that's great until you go to sell your gun or hand it down to a loved one.

I imagine illegal guns will still be a problem.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 15:21
    Well that's great until you go to sell your gun or hand it down to a loved one.

Yes, because someone will figure out how to make a smart gun dumb. Now can someone modify a dumb human?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 15:56
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Lots of crimes take place with no involvement of guns. Pens are probably involved in more crime than guns. Penalties for crimes are far more severe when a gun is used, so many career criminals do without.
    this has absolutely no relevance to the subject discussed . do you enjoy stringing random words together?
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Oct '15 15:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    this has absolutely no relevance to the subject discussed . do you enjoy stringing random words together?
    Your failure to understand the relationship is not my problem. Take it up with your English instructor.
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 10:04

Making heroin is not much more difficult than turning tobacco into cigarettes. And the tobacco industry has not become a monopoly so why would turning poppies into heroin present more of an opportunity for monopoly?
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 17:15
    I just looked up the number of deaths per year due to illicit drugs, about 46,000. Homocides using guns equal about 11,000.

What is more pressing on society right now? In fact, if the drug issues were done away with, I bet the number of homocides with gun use would drop dramatically.

What is perplexing is that a great number of those advocating legal illicit drug seem to also advocate gun restrictions.
    How many of those drug deaths were people killing themselves?
    How many of those gun deaths were people shooting themselves?

I would love to see a terrorist attack by drugs... Sharing out space cake or something...
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 19:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is Utopian notion, and not practical at this time. What if the "smart" gun doesn't fire when it is supposed to held by the owner, and a dumb criminal kills him? Anything that can be programmed can be reprogrammed, so it would be with so called "smart guns".

There is no cure for crimes, such as theft. I'll bet the number of people killed by stolen cars is pretty high as well, but the best anti-theft devices don't seem to make much of dent in car thefts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree