1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 17:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    One reason government would want to do that is because it's good for the economy, like the government also wants to reduce the amount of people on welfare.
    They can always do what the US did; make sure that average worker wages are stagnating or falling in real terms and then women will be economically forced to work whether they have young kids or not.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 17:56
    One reason government would want to do that is because it's good for the economy, like the government also wants to reduce the amount of people on welfare.
    Why would the Netherlands want to change anything? The way you talk it sounds like Paradise on Earth.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 17:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Why would the Netherlands want to change anything? The way you talk it sounds like Paradise on Earth.
    Does it? Well, there are plenty of things wrong with this country and the current government, but I wouldn't want to bore you with Dutch politics.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:05
    Does it? Well, there are plenty of things wrong with this country and the current government, but I wouldn't want to bore you with Dutch politics.
    Why not?

People complain that this board is US politics only. The only thing that can be done about that is for people to start posting the policies of other countries for discussion.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why not?

People complain that this board is US politics only. The only thing that can be done about that is for people to start posting the policies of other countries for discussion.
    I never understood why (some) people complain. If someone wants to discuss something that people are not discussing just post a thread. How easy is that?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I never understood why (some) people complain. If someone wants to discuss something that people are not discussing just post a thread. How easy is that?
    http://www.helium.com/items/952751-why-do-some-people-complain-about-everything
  7. Germany
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:19
    Why not?

Alright, well the government spends too much on defense (it's a small country, stop pretending our army matters, sheesh), the tax code is needlessly complicated with questionable deductions (e.g. mortgage deductions), too much is spent on development aid (let people decide what charitable causes are important to them), income inequality is too large (Gini of .31), the education budget is too small and the education system does not make any sense (publicly funded christian schools? no thank you), the health care reform of 2006 has been a failure as market forces do not work in health care and costs have exploded. Cannabis policy is hypocritical with the government condoning coffee shops and private use but battling production, wasting a lot of effort and money police could use for catching actual criminals... I can go on.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:25
    Alright, well the government spends too much on defense (it's a small country, stop pretending our army matters, sheesh), the tax code is needlessly complicated with questionable deductions (e.g. mortgage deductions), too much is spent on development aid (let people decide what charitable causes are important to them), income inequality is too large (Gi ...[text shortened]... asting a lot of effort and money police could use for catching actual criminals... I can go on.
    Let it all out, buddy, let it all out...
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:26
    Alright, well the government spends too much on defense (it's a small country, stop pretending our army matters, sheesh), the tax code is needlessly complicated with questionable deductions (e.g. mortgage deductions), too much is spent on development aid (let people decide what charitable causes are important to them), income inequality is too large (Gi ...[text shortened]... asting a lot of effort and money police could use for catching actual criminals... I can go on.
    Sounds familiar ..........................................
  10. Germany
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:26
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Let it all out, buddy, let it all out...
    *sobs*
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:37
    Why should the government "want" women to work? The government should "want" people to do what's best for themselves. With an appropriate incentive based economy,
    That's an interesting contradiction in terms you have going there. You automatically assume that an incentive based economy will make people do what's best for them.

However, I personally agree with the first part of what you're saying. I don't see why ANYONE should be "wanted" to work; when there's children to be raised.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:38
    There, there. 😕

The thought just crossed my mind that we don't have a critical mass of Netherlanders to keep a thread going. Let us see how long this thread lasts.
  13. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:44
    Who the hell cares ?

GRANNY.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 18:45
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Who the hell cares ?

GRANNY.
    Get to work, Granny. The government wants YOU.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '10 19:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sounds familiar ..........................................
    Indeed -- why would anyone bother discussing other countries' policies if their issues are pretty much the same as the ones in the US.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree