1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 May '12 20:56
    Rather than just criticize rampant consumerist culture (although that is certainly entertaining in its own right), I have been working on my MASTER PLAN TO SAVE THE WORLD. I am almost ready to unveil it to the general public. It will be the practical realization of an ecocentric ethos that will be necessary to save civilization from its own worst excesses. As you might imagine, it will be a lengthier post. So I'll need a few days to bring it all together.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 May '12 21:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Rather than just criticize rampant consumerist culture (although that is certainly entertaining in its own right), I have been working on my MASTER PLAN TO SAVE THE WORLD. I am almost ready to unveil it to the general public. It will be the practical realization of an ecocentric ethos that will be necessary to save civilization from its own worst excesses. ...[text shortened]... u might imagine, it will be a lengthier post. So I'll need a few days to bring it all together.
    Órale.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 May '12 03:26
    Rather than just criticize rampant consumerist culture (although that is certainly entertaining in its own right), I have been working on my MASTER PLAN TO SAVE THE WORLD. I am almost ready to unveil it to the general public. It will be the practical realization of an ecocentric ethos that will be necessary to save civilization from its own worst excesses. ...[text shortened]... u might imagine, it will be a lengthier post. So I'll need a few days to bring it all together.
    Did you spend a lot of your childhood watching Pinkie and the Brain?
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 May '12 11:55
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Did you spend a lot of your childhood watching Pinkie and the Brain?
    Childhood? I was already an adult when that show was on. But yes, I did find it rather amusing.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '12 00:171 edit
    Childhood? I was already an adult when that show was on. But yes, I did find it rather amusing.
    I thought it was amusing too, but you seem to have adopted the Brain's ideas as gospel.

Sometime when you're not protesting, let me buy you a beer at JJ's Grill on John R and Lincoln.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 May '12 16:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No.
    Is that based on anything empirical, or just wishful thinking?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    21 May '12 16:44
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Is that based on anything empirical, or just wishful thinking?
    Do you see any immediate dangers on the short term that will severely restrict our western lifestyles? There's global warming, but that will, if anything, affect poor countries and (semi-)arid regions. Meat will become more expensive as fertile land becomes increasingly scarce (meat production requires a lot of land), but people will just start eating less of it once that happens. There's plenty of coal and nuclear power to last a long time. Cars can run on electricity. Plastic can be produced renewably. Metals can be recycled.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 May '12 17:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Do you see any immediate dangers on the short term that will severely restrict our western lifestyles? There's global warming, but that will, if anything, affect poor countries and (semi-)arid regions. Meat will become more expensive as fertile land becomes increasingly scarce (meat production requires a lot of land), but people will just start eating l ...[text shortened]... time. Cars can run on electricity. Plastic can be produced renewably. Metals can be recycled.
    Your optimism is indistinguishable from willful blindness. Do you think all those poor people in all those poor countries are just going to sit there and bake while people in the western countries bask in their air conditioning? Among the many ecological effects global warming will have, it will also cause immense social and political instability.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 May '12 17:42
    I thought it was amusing too, but you seem to have adopted the Brain's ideas as gospel.

Sometime when you're not protesting, let me buy you a beer at JJ's Grill on John R and Lincoln.
    I looked at their website: "Budweiser, Bud Light, Labatt Blue, and Miller Lite on tap."

Planning to take over the world requires better beer than that.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    21 May '12 19:02
    Your optimism is indistinguishable from willful blindness. Do you think all those poor people in all those poor countries are just going to sit there and bake while people in the western countries bask in their air conditioning? Among the many ecological effects global warming will have, it will also cause immense social and political instability.
    Yes, I'll remember to put on the air conditioning next winter when it's -25 °C again.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 May '12 02:34
    I looked at their website: "Budweiser, Bud Light, Labatt Blue, and Miller Lite on tap."

Planning to take over the world requires better beer than that.
    Labatts is decent, and they do have bottled offerings.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 May '12 11:50
    Labatts is decent, and they do have bottled offerings.
    Bah! The Berkley Front (on 12 mile, between Coolidge and Greenfield) is where everyone who is serious about taking over the world hangs out. They have 42 beers on tap!
  13. Utrecht
    Moves
    22 May '12 18:36
    Very inspiring. How a dried out landscape can be green again, lush, fruitfull and an economic succes.

http://tegenlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2011-2012/Groen-Goud.html
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 May '12 19:13
    Originally posted by Sake
    Very inspiring. How a dried out landscape can be green again, lush, fruitfull and an economic succes.

http://tegenlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2011-2012/Groen-Goud.html
    Do you have a link to that in English?
  15. Utrecht
    Moves
    23 May '12 11:24
    Do you have a link to that in English?
    This was the plan:
    http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/2007/03/15/restoring-chinas-loess-plateau.

Within a few years this was the result:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kK8z0qDtE2g

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree