1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 May '12 14:10
    Is this problem as bad as the article implies? If so, what will have to be done in the long term?

http://theweek.com/article/index/228071/has-mankind-outgrown-earth
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 May '12 14:13
    No.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 May '12 15:461 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Is this problem as bad as the article implies? If so, what will have to be done in the long term?

Take one example. Norway had a moratorium on fishing in its waters and now has a thriving, still controlled fishing fleet with sustainable fish stocks in its seas. The European Union insists on a free market for fishing, poorly implemented conservation policies and faces the drastic decline of both its fishing industry and its fish stocks.

Clearly then we need less state control, less regulation and then allow competitive markets to sort this thing out for us. 2030 sounds a reasonable estimate for this.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 May '12 17:16
    Clearly then we need less state control, less regulation and then allow competitive markets to sort this thing out for us.
    It works for most issues.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 May '12 20:461 edit

It is as bad as it implies. We'll need the following:

1. Population reduction.
    2. A rejection of a growth oriented, consumerist culture and the adoption of a steady state, sustainable culture.
    3. A realignment of cultural values away from anthropocentrism and technocentrism toward that of ecocentrism.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 May '12 21:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It is as bad as it implies. We'll need the following:

1. Population reduction.
    2. A rejection of a growth oriented, consumerist culture and the adoption of a steady state, sustainable culture.
    3. A realignment of cultural values away from anthropocentrism and technocentrism toward that of ecocentrism.
    You forgot one...

4. Unicorns.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 May '12 00:02

Thirty years ago, the chicken littles were projecting that all fossil fuels would be used up by the turn of the millennium, and that human kind would starve at about the same time.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '12 05:19
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    You forgot one...

4. Unicorns.
    And don't forget:

5. Self-important righteousness.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 May '12 14:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And don't forget:

5. Self-important righteousness.
    Is the earth's carrying capacity unlimited in your opinion? Can we support 10 billion people with ever increasing levels of consumption? I think the article is correct in that we have already exceeded a sustainable level of consumption and that we are beginning to seriously impact the earth's ability to regenerate those resources. And things are getting worse on a daily basis. Unless we quickly and drastically modify our behavior, I foresee a grim future with collapsing ecosystems and populations. We can either voluntarily adopt the positions I mentioned earlier, or we will be unwillingly forced into them later.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '12 17:15
    Is the earth's carrying capacity unlimited in your opinion? Can we support 10 billion people with ever increasing levels of consumption? I think the article is correct in that we have already exceeded a sustainable level of consumption and that we are beginning to seriously impact the earth's ability to regenerate those resources. And things are getting wor ...[text shortened]... ily adopt the positions I mentioned earlier, or we will be unwillingly forced into them later.
    Consumption isn't "ever increasing". There are energy-saving lightbulbs, cars are much more efficient, plastics can be made from renewable materials, etc. Yes, more needs to be done. But can we support 10 billion people on this planet? Definitely. And it's not ecoterrorist whiners who will help mankind achieve that goal.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 May '12 18:13
    Consumption isn't "ever increasing". There are energy-saving lightbulbs, cars are much more efficient, plastics can be made from renewable materials, etc. Yes, more needs to be done. But can we support 10 billion people on this planet? Definitely. And it's not ecoterrorist whiners who will help mankind achieve that goal.
    You will never support 10 billion people in an economy based on perpetual growth. It is impossible. Your faith in the redemptive power of your vaunted technology is a panacea that alleviates you from having to make the hard choices that will be required to alter our path toward ecological devastation. Despite your technology becoming incrementally "greener" all the time, resource consumption continues to accelerate. You imagine that you can get ahead of that curve, but you can't. 10 billion people, all aspiring toward a western European level of consumption, simply cannot be sustained. Radical shifts in cultural norms for how we define "prosperity", how we choose to organize our societies and how we relate to the earth itself are going to become necessary. To continue with "business as usual", without having to inconvenience your current lifestyle, is, I'm afraid, not going to work out for very much longer.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '12 18:54
    You will never support 10 billion people in an economy based on perpetual growth. It is impossible. Your faith in the redemptive power of your vaunted technology is a panacea that alleviates you from having to make the hard choices that will be required to alter our path toward ecological devastation. Despite your technology becoming incrementally "greener" ...[text shortened]... ence your current lifestyle, is, I'm afraid, not going to work out for very much longer.
    I see. Well, in that case I better stock up on canned food.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 May '12 19:09
    I see. Well, in that case I better stock up on canned food.
    6. Soylent green
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 May '12 19:35
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    6. Soylent green
    IS PEOPLE!!!

Yes, in an infinte universe we need to find ways to conserve it. 😛
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    18 May '12 19:44
    Lets do it like in Logans Run !
    We all live in a dome and life MUST end at 30 ! That should solve every thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree