1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 00:531 edit
    http://tinyurl.com/3kc7hyz

East Asian immigrants are the classic example of a group that came to the US and made up its collective mind not to wallow in self-pity and whine about discrimination, but to work their collective tails off to become an intellectual force.

Of course, that's not something that's news to anyone...

The fact that children of immigrants excel in science and math should be taken into account when making immigration policy, Anderson wrote: "The results should serve as a warning against new restrictions on legal immigration, both family and employment-based immigration, since such restrictions are likely to prevent many of the next generation of outstanding scientists and researcher from emerging in America."

Taking this quote at face value, should this statistic be used as a justification for allowing increased legal immigration in general or just increased immigration fron East Asia?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '11 01:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    East Asian immigrants are the classic example of a group that came to the US and made up its collective mind not to wallow in self-pity and whine about discrimination...
    What other "...group[s] that came to the US and made up [their] collective mind[s]" are you comparing East Asian immigrants to?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 02:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    What other "...group[s] that came to the US and made up [their] collective mind[s]" are you comparing East Asian immigrants to?
    Well, okay, "wallow in self pity" is a bit harsh. I guess I shouldn't generalize like that.

Still the attitude of the East Asian immigrants is striking in its focus on making life better for the next generation.

I'm not going to reduce the thread to criticizing people. I'd rather keep it at praising people.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '11 02:37
    I'm not going to reduce the thread to criticizing people. I'd rather keep it at praising people.
    American Science and Math Awards aside, presumably you have praise for the people from South Asia, Western Europe, Australasia, Eastern Europe and so on?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 May '11 02:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    American Science and Math Awards aside, presumably you have praise for the people from South Asia, Western Europe, Australasia, Eastern Europe and so on?
    Indeed I do, though this thread was specifically about praise for east Asian immigrants to the United States, who seem to be dominating these awards right now.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '11 04:18
    Indeed I do, though this thread was specifically about praise for east Asian immigrants to the United States, who seem to be dominating these awards right now.
    If you are concerned about the next generation of outstanding scientists and researchers, why not facilitate the migration to the U.S. of the kind of people from around the world who are likely to win American Science and Math Awards and frame it in terms of skills and achievement - rather than frame it in terms of ethnicity and nationality?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 May '11 04:55
    http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=c2b8f3a43bbe3e0445f23274028d24a7

Three Chinese-American students at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have killed themselves in the last three months. Two died by helium asphyxiation and the cause of death of the third student, though deemed a suicide, is yet to be determined. Their stories have been covered in the Chinese language media, but remain virtually unreported in the mainstream.

These suicides are anything but isolated incidents. Popular opinion may project Asians and Asian Americans as super achievers, scoring high on the SAT, dominating prestigious colleges and working as high-paid professionals, but the dark side of that narrative is that they are much more likely than the average American to commit suicide, according to a recent report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At Cornell University, for instance, 13 of the 21 student suicide victims between 1996 and 2006 were Asians or Asian Americans. That picture is not complete unless you consider that Asians make up of only 14 percent of the total Cornell student body.
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 May '11 12:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=c2b8f3a43bbe3e0445f23274028d24a7

Three Chinese-American students at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have killed themselves in the last three months. Two died by helium asphyxiation and the cause of death of the third student, though deemed a suicide, is yet to be det ...[text shortened]... te unless you consider that Asians make up of only 14 percent of the total Cornell student body.
    At least they died with a smile on their face's
  9. Germany
    Moves
    30 May '11 13:40
    http://tinyurl.com/3kc7hyz

East Asian immigrants are the classic example of a group that came to the US and made up its collective mind not to wallow in self-pity and whine about discrimination, but to work their collective tails off to become an intellectual force.

Of course, that's not something that's news to anyone...

[quote]The fact that children ...[text shortened]... llowing increased legal immigration in general or just increased immigration fron East Asia?
    So you're saying that all East Asians "work their asses off" and don't "wallow in self-pity"? I can assure you I'm much better at maths and science than 99% of East Asians, but what does that say about Caucasians? (answer: nothing)

If you want to get more hard-working, ambitious, smart people in the country, find them and let them in.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 May '11 13:511 edit
    Indians are not usually considered as East Asian, but I guess the story wouldn't fit the public perception so well if they didn't lump them in the group (when it fits the story, of course).
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 May '11 13:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So you're saying that all East Asians "work their asses off" and don't "wallow in self-pity"? I can assure you I'm much better at maths and science than 99% of East Asians, but what does that say about Caucasians? (answer: nothing)

If you want to get more hard-working, ambitious, smart people in the country, find them and let them in.
    Check out the big brains on Kaz!

Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    30 May '11 14:19
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Check out the big brains on Kaz!

Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France?
    A Royale with cheese.

By the way, they really do drown their fries in mayonaise here.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 May '11 14:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Three Chinese-American students at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have killed themselves in the last three months. Two died by helium asphyxiation and the cause of death of the third student, though deemed a suicide, is yet to be det ...[text shortened]... te unless you consider that Asians make up of only 14 percent of the total Cornell student body.
    And if you have ever been to Cornell, one of the most striking features is the deep, sheer-sided, rocky gorges running through the campus -- perfect for suicidal leaps, unfortunately.
  14. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 May '11 14:39
    A Royale with cheese.

By the way, they really do drown their fries in mayonaise here.
    Pronounced 'Royale sheez'...
  15. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 May '11 15:49
    A Royale with cheese.
    Although during the Bush administration it was renamed a Royale with cheese-eating surrender monkey.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree