1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 00:47
    Are pretty rosy in their predictions of the immediate future: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42768270/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

Agree or disagree?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 01:011 edit
    Agree. Like I predicted way back when, 8% unemployment before 2012.

EDIT The article says 8.4% by December. That's cutting my prediction really close.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 01:46
    I wonder how many of them pulled numbers out of their behind and how many have done proper forecasting. I bet the answer would be embarrassing. The interpretation of the journalist also doesn't help because it hides the diversity of opinions.

For example, go here:
    http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/_business/ap_economic_survey/index.html
    Click broader economy and then in "Choose and economist" pick "view all responses". There's even a 5% "prediction" for the last quarter of 2010 made in January 2011 and not a lot of clustering around the mean.

I think that the Fed's Summary of Economic Projections which should soon be out with the upcoming FOMC meeting will be a more serious base to discuss this, compared to this particular survey.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 09:01
    These predictions precise to a tenth of a percent always amuse me. Not a snowball's chance in hell that economists can predict fourth quarter growth this accurately.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 09:271 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    These predictions precise to a tenth of a percent always amuse me. Not a snowball's chance in hell that economists can predict fourth quarter growth this accurately.
    Well, they weren't asked for posteriors (or intervals) but for a point forecast. The press wants quantitative point forecasts and qualitative description of posteriors (uncertain environment=high posterior variance, risk of double dip-skewed distribution with a fat tail, etc.).
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 18:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I wonder how many of them pulled numbers out of their behind and how many have done proper forecasting. I bet the answer would be embarrassing. The interpretation of the journalist also doesn't help because it hides the diversity of opinions.

For example, go here:
    http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/_business/ap_economic_survey/index.html
    Click b ...[text shortened]... eeting will be a more serious base to discuss this, compared to this particular survey.
    At his press conference, Bernanke unveiled projections on inflation, growth and unemployment which were all within the ranges of what the survey gave.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 18:27
    Predictions are always +/-; you have a range in mind, so you predict something in the middle of that range. If you're close, that's tantamount to being "right."

That's true whether you're predicting economic growth, the weather or number of wins a baseball team is going to achieve this year.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 19:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    Predictions are always +/-; you have a range in mind, so you predict something in the middle of that range. If you're close, that's tantamount to being "right."

That's true whether you're predicting economic growth, the weather or number of wins a baseball team is going to achieve this year.
    The range is actually of great importance.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 19:25
    The range is actually of great importance.
    Yeah; in science, 8.4 implies +/- 0.1.
  10. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 11:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Are pretty rosy in their predictions of the immediate future: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42768270/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

Agree or disagree?
    I'd say somewhere in between. Things are improving, but these economists are a bit optimistic I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree